Monday, February 05, 2007

No Place Like Home

It was so good for me to spend a little time at 'home' this weekend.
('home' = my parents' place)

My mom commented the other day that I have an undeniable ability to take any place where I live and make it feel warm and inviting. The obvious exception is my current house. I won't say home, because it's not. And that's really been getting to me lately.

I'm not a homebody, but I need the place that I come home to to be home. I miss my space and quiet moments. I miss having the freedom to play piano and paint whenever the mood strikes me. But most of all, I miss having the home where everybody congregates. I've always been the person who hosts everything, from parties to games nights to impromptu late-night movie screenings. I love having my house full of friends - and that's something that's just not possible with our house so full already, just with the people who actually live there.

I know this is just my phase of life right now, but it's making me kind of claustrophobic lately.

I'm going to blame it on the weather. You know it's bad when the time it takes to walk from your car to your office is greater than the amount of time the weatherperson said it would take for your skin to freeze.

These days always remind me of that classic Simpsons line:
'Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?'

L

Labels:

1 Comments:

At February 06, 2007 8:37 AM, Blogger ka said...

Amen, sista. My last three "homes" have included the basement of a girl I know, housesitting for friends of my grandparents, and the basement of another friend. My "stuff" has been in boxes for ever and ever. In fact, I have a temporary ban on buying anything new for my "house" since I've completely lost track of what I actually own!

~sigh

My Mom tells me that she's lived in the same place for the last 27 years, and trust her, that's no fun either. But I'd like to try it before I form my own judgement...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home