Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Happy Thoughts

My motivational thought for the day, courtesy of ChronicBabe.com:

I think it's very common for us as young women to idealize our finest moment, and feel like we're letting others down - or even worse, ourselves - when we can't do everything we once did.

It's completely normal to mourn that loss. And that's exactly what it is: a loss. It sucks! We miss being that girl - the one who can do anything she can imagine. Who wouldn't want to be that girl?

But at some point, you have to let her go. She's not you. She's a former you. It's time to focus on who you are today and embrace that girl. She's still awesome! I bet she can still do a lot of cool stuff. And she's surely still a hottie.

Each day you wish you could be your "old" self will make you feel like a failure. But each day you exercise compassion for your "new" self - each day you embrace your current abilities - you'll appreciate every accomplishment even more.

And when you think of that ideal girl - the "old" you - do you think she would want you to be held back by some unattainable ideal, or self-pity? I bet you a million bucks she wouldn't. She'd probably grab you by the shoulders, look you straight in the eye, and let you have it.

Read the entire article here.

-

And with that... I'm going to the gym. Yep, you heard me. THE GYM.

I'm feeling a little apprehensive about this plan, mostly because I haven't been there in a really, really long time. I was getting so discouraged, watching these chubby old women run circles around me - and immediately bursting into tears upon reaching the safety of my car, feeling sorry for myself about all the things that don't come easily anymore, crying out every (fluid) ounce of frustration over this old lady's body that I've somehow become trapped in.

But you know what? I can do almost every machine - and I choose to focus on that, not on those two machines that are too hard for me. I choose not to care what the other girls at the gym think when I work those machines slowly or skip them altogether. I choose not to care that I'm only maintaining my pounds and inches, and not actually losing any.

Because, despite all my quirks and flaws, I'm still kind of a superfox.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At February 27, 2007 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos!! Keep up what you CAN do!

 
At February 27, 2007 11:27 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Thank you :)

I went, I saw, I didn't *exactly* conquer... But I did manage to work through the entire circuit, just not with the same amount of gusto as everyone else. Which is okay, because I kind of suspect that the gym might be kind of like the beach - you think everyone's watching you, but really they're just worrying about how they look and not noticing much else.

I feel sore, but not defeated. And happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home