Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Woman Makes Post on Blog

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how to handle this one. In the NYT today, there was a screaming headline: 'A Woman to Be Chief at PepsiCo.' It was followed by this line: Indra K. Nooyi's promotion will make PepsiCo the largest U.S. company by market capitalization led by a woman.

Now, I am pretty happy about this. It's cool that we're starting to see some subtle movement toward gender equality in the workplace (don't even get my started on that topic... I worked at Loewen, remember?). But is it really equality? The simple answer is NO.

If men and women were truly equals, today's headline would have read: 'PepsiCo Names New CEO.' And then the story would have mentioned the interesting fact about Nooyi's gender, and how this makes her the most powerful female CEO in the U.S.

However, if the world was a perfect place, then I'd be 98 pounds and look exactly like Kate Hudson.

L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home