Friday, June 09, 2006

The List (Part One)

I've started doing a little bit of research in preparation for my upcoming visit to Montreal. So much to do and see, and so little time (and money). Sigh. I'm beginning to compile a bit of a wish list, based on my own research and input from the lovely and talented Miss Christine Groenveld, who will be playing hostess to Emily and I when we visit.

My list so far:

1. Notre Dame. Because I'm an architecture geek, and I love the feeling I get when I step inside these old churches. More than anything, it's so evident that the people who planned and built these spaces had incredible vision and passion. And that is so amazing to me.

2. Jazz Festival. Because I'm a music geek, and music geeks think jazz is COOL. I'm trying to figure out how I can get tickets for either Tony Bennett or Etta James - Tony because he's just classically wonderful and I sing his music in the shower, Etta because 'Blue Gardenia' has to be the sexiest CD in the history of music... 'This Bitter Earth' seriously gives me shivers. And I've heard that Tony likes to perform 'Fly Me to the Moon' sans microphone to show off his amazing projection... So cool.

3. Biodome. Because I'm a geek about the environment, and I'm fascinated by practical science. This is like Disneyland for grown-up geeks.

4. Shopping! Um, hello. Because I'm not always a geek - I'm also a girl who loves shoes.

5. A night at Christine's cabin near Mont Tremblant. Because I promised Christine that I was tough enough to spend an overnight without running water (what the heck was I thinking?!). And because I'm fascinated by the fact that she has built her own log cabin in the woods. And because I must check out this 'best skinny dipping spot in the world.' And because there's not a chance in hell of me participating in that sort of activity during daylight hours. And only a small chance it will happen after dark. They don't call me princess for nothing.

6. Old Quebec City. Because daytrips are fun. And because I have always wanted to stroll the cobblestone streets near Chateau Frontenac - at least since I was in French class and learned about French Canadian culture, and especially since my parents got back from their East Coast adventure raving about it. Hmm, cobblestone. Better acquire some shoes without heels.

7. A fabulous tattoo/piercing establishment. Because Emily and I have some unfinished business to take care of.

8. Fireworks Competition. Because fireworks are cool. And an international fireworks competition can only be cooler. And who knows... Fireworks displays always have firefighters on hand... Mmm, French firefighters...

Has anyone been to Montreal before? Any recommendations?

L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home