Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Toxic

So I'm going to apologize in advance because I feel like this might turn into a kind of rant.

And while I'm at it, I should maybe add an apology for putting a Britney song in your head.

Now that we've got all that out of the way, let's continue on with my post, shall we? Cool.

Um, whatever happened to being NICE, and speaking NICELY to other people? And what's up with all the complaining going on lately? Seriously. (And that was NOT a complaint about complainers, hehe.)

I love the interwebs. I love email, and blogging, and Facebook, and Twitter, and all that fun stuff for what it can do to connect people. I do NOT love how it gives people an instant platform to bitch about their lives.

I cannot believe how many emails I can get in a week that are just not NICE. It's not even the content of the message - it's just not bothering to think about how it's going to come across and not being willing to take the time to either (a) make sure it's worded the way you really truly intended to say it, or (b) pick up the phone or schedule a meeting and have a good old fashioned - friendly - chat about it.

And I cannot believe how many status updates I can scroll through in a day - or even an hour - that are kind of whiny or (worse) just plain passive aggressive. I am NOT innocent of this. But I try. I honestly do.

Way too much of my time is going to avoiding toxic energy. I wish I were popular enough to get other people on board a Facebook Positivity Week, where no one is allowed to share anything that isn't AWESOME. Wouldn't that be amazing?

See? I TOTALLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THIS PRINCESS. Then I could mandate s#!& like this ;)

Labels:

7 Comments:

At November 23, 2010 2:11 PM, Anonymous Momma said...

I totally agree. Using FB or a blog doesn't make you invisible - neither does passive aggressive emailing nastiness - even common courtesy seems like it's been thrown out the window. We can see you through your veiled emails. And we know where you live :) Please take the time to read what you write BEFORE you send it. There's my support for your rant, Lindsay.

 
At November 23, 2010 2:47 PM, Blogger Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Agree as well. It's such an eye-roller to constantly have the same people bi-atching about their lives all over social media. It's social people, it means you're not in a bubble - others are out there reading. Let's talk about sociable things. Sure we all have ups and downs and that's okay, but be careful what you compain about...life's pretty good if we can afford to have computers and cell phones, etc. compared to so many people on this earth.

Love the rant!

XO
Lenore

 
At November 23, 2010 3:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well said. This drives me crazy as well.

 
At November 23, 2010 11:41 PM, Anonymous Ashley said...

I completely agree- I am freaking frustrated at seeing the sheer amount of people complaining about the weather, their jobs, their personal relationships. It becomes very draining to constantly be exposed to that level of negativity. And I constantly want to be that person that suggests looking at all the terrible things going on in the world right now, and realizing a little snow or cold weather are pretty insignificant in the big picture. But I don't think it would help. So I just try to avoid doing it myself, and keep away from the negative nellies! lol

 
At November 25, 2010 11:36 AM, Anonymous erin said...

i WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with this! i have always tried to keep my fb status whine free and complaint free. i hate when people complain about their children and their husbands and yes, the passive aggressive remarks directed towards friends who have wronged them, etc, etc. i think we SHOULD start a facebook positivity week! i would totally be on board with that. (p.s. you should have been a princess...just like i should have been one) :)

 
At November 25, 2010 11:38 AM, Anonymous erin said...

oh, and i totally went back and scanned my fb statuses to make sure i could accurately say that i try to stay complaint and whine free...didn't want to be a hypocrite, lol :D

thought you'd appreciate that :)

 
At November 27, 2010 1:27 AM, Blogger Tannis said...

On the flip side, I'm occasionally relieved to hear the odd not-so-sunshiny fb update! It's good for my ego. Otherwise I feel like I'm the biggest loser for having bad days or else figure other people are lying about how brilliant things are all the time. Yes, there may be something wrong with my outlook on life. Or my views on social networking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home