Monday, May 17, 2010

Random Pet Peeve

Random Pet Peeve: People who ASK for comments on Facebook... Or whine about how no one is reading their blog anymore (in an effort, I assume, to guilt people into going to read their blog and then commenting on it to validate them).

I say this in love. No, scratch that. I say this unemotionally, as a marketing consultant. Which I totally am :)

If people aren't commenting - or aren't viewing your content in the first place - it's because you're not engaging them. You're pushing self-serving information at them and not encouraging them to apply your ideas to their own life. Or you're updating your blog so infrequently that you're losing your audience (rule of thumb is minimum 2 to 3 updates every week). Or you're writing about things that are completely irrelevant to them (and are probably going to land you on STFU Parents, possibly submitted anonymously by yours truly - oh, I'VE DONE IT).

I type this with a smirk on my face, knowing full well that I break blogging rules all the time. I used to be *so* much better about reader engagement, back before I gave birth, that glorious season in my life when I slept enough to remember how to spell my own name. I've promised myself to do better this summer... But at the end of the day, this blog was meant to chronicle my life and really nothing else. It's something that I do for me - to journal, to think things through, to have a creative outlet during the weeks when I'm writing stuff at work that kind of bores me. The fact that you all visit and then take the time to comment and send me emails about what you've read and what it means to you is phenomenal and awesome and amazing, but it's not why I do it. It's a happy bit of icing on the cake.

But I'll bite :)

What is your random social media pet peeve? C'mon, you know there's SOMETHING about blogs or Facebook or Twitter that makes you absolutely insane... 1 - 2 - 3 - GO!

-

From CNN.com: The 12 Most Annoying Types of Facebookers

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At May 17, 2010 1:20 PM, Blogger Aaron Scott said...

"What is your random social media pet peeve? C'mon, you know there's SOMETHING about blogs or Facebook or Twitter that makes you absolutely insane... 1 - 2 - 3 - GO!"

Did you just ask me to comment?

My social media pet peeve: Facebook.

 
At May 17, 2010 1:24 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Ahh... At first glance, YES. But it's not the same as saying 'no one is commenting on my blog anymore... is it working properly? are people still READING it? or am I doing all this work to blog for NOTHING?'

I have Google Analytics, so even if I was writing this purely for others, I *know* how many people are on here in a week. (HI, MOM! hehe)

 
At May 17, 2010 1:29 PM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

You're right. It's always nice to have comments on your blog. I read yours faithfully. I'm guessing you already knew that!

I blog for myself. I don't journal so blogging is my way of making my life's notes. It's always nice to have comments but if they don't comment it's no big deal.

My pet peeve is people who toot their own horns in their Facebook status updates. Yes, we all know how great and wonderful you are. We get it.

 
At May 17, 2010 1:35 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Allison - Your comment made me think about an article I read a while ago... Have you seen this? It's super funny because it's super true :)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/20/annoying.facebook.updaters/index.html

 
At May 17, 2010 1:35 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Oh crap. That didn't work :)

I'll add the link in the original post.

 
At May 17, 2010 1:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. I threaten to delete my account every so often, but I haven't brought myself to actually do that yet. :)

I'll come at your question from a reverse angle... I actually like most anything positive - go ahead, toot your own horn, brag about your kid, share some big news. I may not be affected one way or the other, but we don't talk about the good often enough - in any form of media.

I just can't stand whining, excessive use of swearing (unless it's me referring to my mouse issues which TOTALLY deserve all the %$#@s I have to offer :). The other thing I've notice pop up a fair little bit lately is people referring to people/things/events and trying to be all "code" about it. Seriously. If you've got issues - deal with them. Unless they are about me I don't care. I think we all used to be a little braver before the www came to be...

 
At May 17, 2010 2:27 PM, Blogger Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

I think I would have to say that my pet peeve is people who rant in their FB status. About negative things. I get that we all have bad days but it does seem self-serving to put all your negative thoughts out into the universe in hopes that people will feel sorry for you...

XO
Lenore

 
At May 17, 2010 2:48 PM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

Looking back I realize I have posted blog updates in my FB status. In my defense though it's because my blog is private and no one gets my updates. :)

 
At May 17, 2010 4:01 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Maybe I don't understand Facebook messages but I dislike reading how someone has added a castle to their current game, etc. without any meaningful comment about their lives.

 
At May 19, 2010 2:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

One of my friends posted this:

rolls her eyes every time she reads that your "boyfriend"/"sister"/"second cousin once removed" "fights crime"/"has cancer"/"flips burgers", and that your status update "shows support"/"will bless them"/"protects their soul", and that if she does not repost it she "will die in her sleep"/"betrays her country"/"will never understand".

It sums up my social media pet peeve very well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home