Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Will the Real Lindsay Wright Please Stand Up?

I sent off my request for a form that will enable me to graduate after I complete my final course this summer... But I've just been informed that UVic has SEVEN Lindsay Wrights in their system who could potentially be eligible for graduation this year and they need more information to figure out who I am (and which form to send me).

I never want to hear a whisper about Briony having an unusual first name again. THIS is precisely why we did it.

Oh, and at work last week, I was introduced in a meeting as Lindsay Wright... the agency's WRITER. You could literally see the pun sink in as it was spoken before the snickers started.

I really need to insist on a different title.

I don't regret taking Geoff's last name when we got married. It's kind of pretty, it's a heck of a lot shorter than Hildebrandt (I have a middle initial on my driver's license for the first time EVER), and I like how it makes our little family cohesive.

But it is *incredibly* common. And - much more importantly - it turns me into a living, walking, breathing pun. I hate puns. Talk about taking one for the team.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At May 11, 2010 1:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had (have? I'm still mostly a Pawich in the government's books - really need to get this name change thing done :) the opposite problem. I went from two, very unique names to one unique and one that's TERRIBLY TERRIBLY common. I'm not used to spelling Kari-Ann and then not having to spell the last one - at least in these parts.

It's why I'm so *pleased* with Scarlett. I think it's the perfect combination of a sort-of unique name, but not one that people will absolutely butcher when they spell or pronounce it (though I've already discovered that she'll go through life as "that's Scarlett with two T's).

Then again it was also recently on a list of names growing in popularity. So perhaps all my over-thinking names was in vain and she'll be common as *insert trendy name of choice here* in no time. :)

I think it would be a fascinating social experiment to look at people with common names and what they names their kids, versus people with uncommon names and what they chose.

 
At May 11, 2010 2:01 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Interesting.

I always kind of liked Lindsay for that same reason. I still need to spell it, but people know how to say it - and it's common enough without being Jennifer (if you're a child of the 80s, you know what I mean). Geoff says the exact same thing about his name.

And I always thought I'd pick something *normal* when it came time to name a baby. I'm still surprised sometimes that we ended up with a Briony. I love it and still think it's the perfect name for her. But we knew she was destined for a life of spelling her name (and correcting people who mispronounce it)... Whatever. It builds character. And it's totally one of those names that feels totally normal as soon as you've said it a few times.

At least we didn't just make something up. SHUDDER.

I love Scarlett, and 'Scarlett with two Ts' makes me smile like 'Anne with an E' does :)

 
At May 11, 2010 2:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

She's "B.E. Wright" and will never B.E wrong...

I love her name. And I LOVE her too.

 
At May 11, 2010 4:47 PM, Blogger Sara Beth said...

You have a beautiful last name, Lindsay, despite the shameful pun. Sigh, that must've been fate's joke on you, eh? Anyway, I think your new last name is incredibly elegant.

 
At May 11, 2010 8:02 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Just out of curiosity, I googled my name in Victoria and vicinity and it appears 21 times (only 2 of us in Abbotsford)...and 4 G Wright's. I wonder how many are related to Lindsay's:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home