Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Incredible Eating Machine

I think I've mentioned before that my once rather large baby girl stopped growing last summer. In fact, between appointments in August and February, she gained a grand total of 8 ounces and grew only a tiny bit taller. It was hard not to freak out about it, but I tried to have the same attitude that I kept while I was pregnant and gaining weight - that as long as you're healthy and eating well, then your body does what it needs to do. Our pediatrician (fortunately) thinks a lot like I do, and she wasn't concerned either. Her opinion was that babies around the one year mark tend to adjust and settle into their true size, and that it would have been much stranger for Geoff + I to produce a child who stayed around the 95th percentile in everything (which she was for the first nine months of her life, with the notable exception of her head which has always been OFF THE CHARTS BIG... it still makes me shudder to look at those measurements).

Anyway. Apparently, Briony's ready to start growing again because this child has been eating like a fiend lately. The shift happened literally overnight two or three weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure that she is currently eating more than I am - that's no exaggeration. After a bottle this morning and then a muffin and a smoothie for breakfast and then some Cheerios while we were out on our walk, her lunch has (so far) consisted of an entire avocado, an entire banana, two whole packets of Mum Mums, a portion of cheese... And she's just now starting to slow down. AND THIS IS TYPICAL. She'll have a snack in the afternoon and then an equally massive dinner. She's been all about the meat + potatoes lately (and always veggies... she goes crazy for broccoli). Dinner at The Keg last weekend was like Disneyland to her.

To contrast, I've managed a double tall nonfat vanilla latte with cinnamon dolce sprinkles this morning. Not because I wasn't hungry... BECAUSE IT TAKES UP ALL MY TIME TO FEED BRIONY (hehe).

I stepped on the scale with her yesterday - which I never do, because I believe that if she's happy and healthy, then she's perfect - but I was SO curious because she's finally starting to outgrow the clothes she's been wearing for months and months. And guess what... She's gained three or four pounds in the last month. Can I just say YAY!

Well, YAY except OH MY GOD she is getting heavy.

Which brings me to a very important question... If I'm hauling around a kid all day, and I have been for sixteen months and counting, how on earth do I still have the same Oprah arms that I had while I was pregnant? Explain this to me, please.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 31, 2010 3:28 PM, Anonymous sherisse said...

Love the arms comment! People used to (actually they still do) say to me, "wow, she/he is such a big baby, your arms are going to be ripped in no time flat!" Were they ever wrong! I think that your body gets used to lifting or carrying around the baby and then your muscles, or lack of muscles, just go back to their usual self. :)

 
At March 31, 2010 7:16 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Sherisse - SIGH. It's funny because it's true :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home