Monday, March 29, 2010

Weekend Update

Have you ever had one of those days where you just stop and shake your head, utterly convinced that life is something that happens *to* you - completely outside of your own control? That's been my last three years. But I think it's getting increasingly stranger.

ANYWAY.

A quick update on our weekend.

I ran out for a last-minute new client meeting on Friday night, met again on the same subject on Sunday afternoon, and have apparently landed myself another new project. I'm pretty excited about this one... STAY TUNED :)

This new project is *another* new public relations project. Which means that - right now - I'm doing more PR work than writing work for the first time since I launched my little business. It's going to be very interesting to see how this feels because I love both kinds of work, and I can see myself doing both long-term - but I've never really been sure about which one to actually pursue. Honestly, I'm not pursuing ANYTHING. But it's lovely and wonderful and kind of miraculous that people have been tracking me down and pursuing ME. I'm keeping so busy. It's been incredible for my self-esteem.

Geoff and I did our taxes. Actually, LINDSAY did our taxes. I'll let you process that for a moment. Truth be told, this English major did remarkably well with high school level Accounting classes - and that's really all you need for tax preparation. I used a super-simple online program and it was pretty much painless. The best part? Geoff's getting a decent return. And I owed $7.16. I feel like I won the lottery. I was scared that I'd owe thousands because of my freelance work, but I apparently did okay with deductions. YAY ME (especially because I had money set aside for the taxes I thought I'd owe).

I met up with some friends on Saturday morning for breakfast + shopping. It was just so much fun to see them without Briony along. Don't get me wrong - I *love* Briony and so do her adopted 'aunties' - but I've been realizing lately how often we all hang out at my house because 99% of my Girls Nights happen when Geoff is working nights. I'm the only one with a baby in most of my social circles, so we naturally end up here and I'm playing mommy while we're all hanging out. It works well, I think. But there's a different quality to Girl Time when you're not worrying about your baby at the same time. I'm hoping to replicate that same quality on Thursday. Geoff is working all day, and I told my clients I was taking the day OFF (gasp!). Katie is coming and I am spending the day with two of my best friends - who both happen to be teachers on Spring Break. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't remember the last time I saw these girls without Briony in tow. WHEN DID I BECOME *THAT* GIRL? Shame, Lindsay. SHAME.

We skipped church on Sunday morning. Again. I feel kind of strange about how badly we've been sucking at bringing Briony to church. It's not that it's not important to us. It is. But at the age she is, it's super hard to go to church (and I end up missing most of it anyway). And with Geoff and I working so much, and opposite schedules, the rare Sunday mornings that we're all at home together have become sacred. Yesterday, we enjoyed our very favourite Sunday morning activity as a family: a walk to Assiniboine Park. We picked up Starbucks on the way and stopped at the park so that Briony could play on the swings. It was good for my soul.

We also skipped an Open House that we'd been talking about going to. Geoff and I both love our house, but I think we both recognize that - at least in its current state - it might not be our Forever House. There's always an option to do some big renos and make it work, but you always need to weigh the pros and cons of just picking up and moving to a house that will work the way it is. Both of these options are probably far down the road for us. We're not actually wanting a BIGGER house, just one that works a little better for us (specifically, a bigger kitchen, more accessible laundry, a main floor bathroom, and a more functional office space - though I'd add a garage and central air to my list too, hehe). But there is a house currently for sale a few blocks over that totally looks like that house that would work... And the location is to die for - one of the only locations that we'd consider to be possibly better than where we currently are (which is really saying something, because we are in love with our current location). In the end, we chose not to go. Too tempting. Too painful. But it's still fun to think about the future.

Last night, we met my parents at The Keg to help celebrate my dad's birthday. Briony did GREAT, and it was a rather quiet affair without Aaron + Cait and Jessica + Kevin + Chloe there - but Briony did her best to make up for it with her full-volume giggling. They came back to our place after for cake (actually it was pie), coffee, and presents. And so that my dad could watch the end of the curling game, of course :)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 29, 2010 4:54 PM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

I feel the same way about Church. I fully admit I haven't "heard" an actual sermon in 2 years (since Carter was born). Sometimes I wonder why I even bother going.

 
At March 29, 2010 6:53 PM, Blogger Karla said...

If pushing Briony on the swing was "good for the soul" then you did go to church.

 
At March 31, 2010 7:20 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Allison + Karla - I think that church happens wherever you are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home