Saturday, December 12, 2009

Stockings

I am *so* excited. This Christmas, we finally bought stockings and hangers for our fireplace. It's kind of funny that this is our third married/cohabitated Christmas and we're only getting around to it now - especially because it's a tradition that both of us grew up with. It's funny what a baby can do, isn't it?

Anyway. The stockings are fabulous. I had my heart set on something modern in grey and Geoff was (surprisingly) adamant that they needed to be traditional red stockings. We found some - at Chapters, of all places - that we could both agree on. After a pretty serious hunt, we finally found inoffensive stocking hangers at Walmart (SHUDDER). And the rest is history.

Except that now we need to fill them.

Our parents were both pretty practical with our stocking stuffers, which I really appreciate, and we're trying to do the same (with a couple of small fun items thrown in). I have a few things for Briony already and a few more things on my list, but I'm curious to hear what ideas other people have for great one-year-old stocking ideas. And I definitely want to hear about the kinds of things that you got in your stockings growing up.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At December 12, 2009 12:43 PM, Anonymous Ashley said...

As for a one-year old's stocking, hand puppets or sock monkeys are a great idea! As are Gerber puffs. And even though I'm an adult, I still get a stocking from my parents and my mother-in-law. I love the practical things, like razor blades and shave gel, especially because I don't splurge all that often on things like that for myself! Sometimes I think the stocking is even better than the big gift items.

 
At December 12, 2009 3:51 PM, Blogger ka said...

I want to see a picture!

I gave Scarlett a SIGG bottle last year. Now at 19 months old she loves it. I made some finger puppets which are now becoming a hit. Barrettes and pony tail holders are fun - the hair fills in fast! It's hard - I don't know that there are any fabulous things for a one year old - you sort of buy thinking they are a bit young for it now, but will soon grow to love it!

 
At December 12, 2009 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stockings are awesome - though James is getting pajamas in his, and Rayya is getting "Take & Toss" sippy cups - because she doesn't care, and she'll need them sometime down the road! One year-old stuffers... hmmmm... definately love the finger puppet idea. Practical stuff... how practical can a one year-old be?! If you're not already stocked up on little containers for snacks, drinks, etc. - that's always handy. Also love the insulated bottles and sippy cups. Tub toys are fun, batteries (for the millions of battery-operated toys she'll get this Christmas).

 
At December 13, 2009 11:02 AM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

So far I've got slipper socks with grippies on the bottoms in chloe's stocking and a vibrating bug toy (like the one briony has that chloe secretly wants to steal). Planning on adding some sleepers and the next size up of soothers and one of those insulated sippy cups. Oh, and a belt i still need to order from KA. ;)

 
At December 14, 2009 10:04 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

So far for Joslyn I've got a cute little belt I bought at a craft show. A small pack of the Fisher Price "little people". It's an extra toy person to go with the little people doll house we bought for her large gift. I've also picked up a few packs of hair barrettes. Oh and a little play car with sesame street characters in it. Dollarama also has a really cute set of ducks that light up when you touch the bottom of them. They look like rubber ducks for the bath, but light up instead. I think she'll love them. Lastly, I am ON MY WAY to the store to get her an insulated sippy cup. What a great idea!!

 
At December 15, 2009 12:17 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Funny... Sounds like we're all on the same page. Great ideas!

I wasn't going to share what's already in hers until I heard everyone's ideas, but so far we have a new sippy cup, a couple of new pacifiers, a board book, and a container of Gerber puffs. We still have some hair clips (in anticipation of future hair - LOL) and another pair of mittens on the list.

We'll see. Geoff + I are heading out to finish up the last of our Christmas shopping on Thursday and we might find some more interesting stuff. The great thing about a one-year-old is that ANYTHING is great when you're pulling it out of a giant red sock :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home