Friday, December 11, 2009

Exhale

It's five o'clock on a Friday. And I sense there's a country song that starts with precisely those words... I don't listen to country music. But that sounds about right :)

Anyway.

What's significant about this particular hour on this particular Friday is that it marks the official end to this particular week, a week that was - in a word - PURE INSANITY. Wait, that was two words. Oh well. What can I say... I'm a writer.

I worked away all day today, and Briony had a great time with Amber (to whom I owe A LOT for making time to hang out with B so that B's mommy could go to work today). I have more client stuff that's due over the weekend, and a Monday morning meeting to prep for. Geoff is still at work until at least 8 pm tonight, and back again for a twelve-hour shift tomorrow.

But for right now, it's five o'clock. Briony is napping upstairs. I successfully turned last night's mediocre chicken leftovers into a freaking amazing first attempt at avgolemono soup.

I am tired, and I am happy. I got to spend the last two days trying my hand at magazine editing, something that I always thought I'd enjoy and be good at - and both hypotheses turned out to be true. And it went well enough that I *hope* I'll be getting future calls about future issues.

And after all my panic about business and money, December is turning out to be an amazing month. Amazing enough that we were able to book tickets for our next Vancouver trip with confidence this week. Amazing enough that I finally feel like I'M REALLY DOING THIS. Amazing enough that - this month - I managed to top the full-time monthly salary I was making pre-maternity leave. And I got to do it (almost) all while hanging out with Briony. AMAZING.

I feel like I've finished a marathon. But in that really, really good-tired way, where you're so proud of yourself in the moment that you hardly notice the pain.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At December 11, 2009 7:46 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Quite an accomplishment:) It does sound like the job goes 24/7 some days!? It doesn't sound boring anyway.

 
At December 11, 2009 10:52 PM, Blogger ka said...

It's ALWAYS 5 o'clock somewhere in country music. That's why I love it :).

Good on ya! My Nov/Dec was almost equally as ridiculous, and lucrative (especially since I spent a grand total of $30 on babysitting in the entire two months :). I even did a bit of "me" shopping while Christmas shopping yesterday to celebrate!

 
At December 11, 2009 10:59 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Marilyn - Some days are intense, but it feels like that busyness comes in very short spurts and then it's quiet or slow and steady for a while. I guess I'm used to this kind of weird, unpredictable work schedule... To me, working a nurse's schedule would be stressful and horrible :)

KA - And I love you despite that fact. Awesome that you've been busy and earning your keep this fall too. But as a result of our success, I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN FOREVER. We need to change that. Like, SOON. (And I totally know what you mean... I was browsing the Gap site tonight and drooling over a pair of pants that I just might pick up for myself this week. BECAUSE I CAN. How cool is that?! Or is it sad?...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home