Thursday, December 24, 2009

Silent Night

I've never been on my own for Christmas before. And don't get all technical on me - I know it's only Christmas Eve, which is technically the day *before* Christmas. But it feels like Christmas. And Geoff is working another night shift.

It's a strange thing, and I really needed to fight my first instinct to call everyone I know to find someone else without plans so that I would be busy tonight. But it's peaceful here. We're ready for Christmas and the house isn't perfectly clean, but it's under control - good enough until after the holidays. I'm finished everything I need to do for work until next week. Briony's in bed for the night. And I'm about to curl up on the couch to watch some good TV on DVD with a giant bowl of popcorn - with absolutely nothing hanging over my head and making me feel guilty for doing something totally unproductive and relaxing. Sometimes I let myself get so busy that I forget how much I enjoy my own company. It's far from my first choice, but I also realize that I need to get used to this because I married a nurse and this is not likely to be the last Christmas Eve that I spend at home with Briony and without Geoff.

In a little over twelve hours, Geoff will be home again and he'll sleep for part of the day. When he wakes up in the afternoon, we're planning to keep our Christmas tradition of breakfast and presents and just ignore the fact that it's 4 pm. Again, not my first choice, but I realize that this is how memories are made :)

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At December 24, 2009 9:11 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

I hope the guilt becomes less when you are recouping your energy: you are NOT doing nothing:)
A very Merry Christmas to you all.

 
At December 25, 2009 10:41 AM, Anonymous Alison said...

Hey Linds....I know the feeling. Sitting here alone on Christmas day. My husband was home last night, but had to go in today...for 12 long hours...possibly 24 because of the snow storm. Anyhow, I am still enjoying the kids this morning with a hot cup of coffee. Not ideal, but so blessed to have such a great family! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Maybe next year we should team up and celebrate together if we're both alone:)

 
At December 25, 2009 12:00 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Marilyn - Thank you :)

Alison - I know that you know, and I love that I have someone else in my life who *totally* gets it. We should definitely compare holiday schedules next year. Today would have been a great day to do something fun with all the kids (other than the snow!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home