Friday, August 07, 2009

Friday Smile

It was a dreary day in Winnipeg. Hardly noteworthy - it's been cloudy and drizzly all summer (I hate you for stealing our summer, Vancouver!) - but today I'd had enough. And so I partook in my very favourite rainy day activity, maternity leave 'paycheques' be damned.

Geoff, Briony, and I spent the afternoon at Indigo. They went to look at magazines while I picked up a Starbucks and took my time choosing a few treasures to bring home with me.

I ended up with:
1. Real Simple Cleaning (because I'm a dork - it is beyond awesome)
2. Eat Pray Love (for my new ChronicBabe book club)
3. Best Friends Forever (chick lit for the lake next week)
4. Still Alice (verrry excited about this one)
5. And one for Briony, of course :)

It was *so* hard to pick... Isn't it always?! But I've been reading voraciously so far this month, and I don't really see it slowing down until I'm back in school at the end of September.

So in the meantime, I'm taking book suggestions. That was *way* beyond a hint, fellow book worms :)

AAAAAAND... Anyone interested in doing a book club with me this year? Maybe a Girls Night kind of thing?? I have another friend who's interested, but I'm thinking one book per month and a potluck get-together to gab about it. Maybe a blog to discuss during the month? Let me know. Still in the processing stage.

PS - Hmm. I went online to add those links to the books and realized that I could have saved a crapload of money by purchasing them all online. Grr. I hate that. Shopping in person is about a million times more fun. It totally killed the high of my awesome in-store iRewards discount.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At August 08, 2009 5:32 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I have a bunch I recently splurged for on Amazon. I'm just starting to get to them now, so maybe I'll blog about them.

Actually, one that I WILL tell you about now (and won't mention it on the blog since I want to give it to friends as gifts) is this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/Mothers-Legacy-Your-Story-Words/dp/1404113339/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249770322&sr=1-1

Not so much a book, but a journal. It asks you all sorts of questions about your life and childhood memories, which you fill out in your own words, and then later gift to your child. It is FABULOUS! I feel that if God decides to take me earlier than expected, what a great legacy to leave behind for my children. :-)

Happy reading Lindsay!

 
At August 08, 2009 9:40 PM, Blogger ka said...

Who wants to read a book online. It would NOT smell right... :)

I would love to do a book club. In fact, I would love to read a book. I'm trying to read one right now (one my friend Lindsay loaned me a while back!). It's hard. I have WAY to many nap time projects, and I just can't bring myself to read while my baby girl is awake. Maybe if I ever go to Yorkton to visit I can read something...

 
At August 08, 2009 10:48 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Among all my vampire/fledgling/immortal books that I've been shamelessly addicted to since last summer I have managed to squeeze a few "real" reads in. Though I do highly recommend those for pure fluff and entertainment ;)

Lottery - by Patricia Wood is the most recent one that I've really enjoyed.

I'm in a bookclub already, but could be persuaded to join another if there aren't too many repeats from what I've already hit upon so definitely keep me in mind!

 
At August 22, 2009 5:43 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I forgot to mention that I would love to join a book club over the fall / winter! Please keep me in mind!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home