Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Tale of Two Mugs

At Cocoon, I was a little bit known for my coffee consumption. I think that part of it was just liking to have something in my hands at all times, to feel more comfortable - so I wandered around the office about 99% of the time holding a cup of coffee. And often a pen. (Incidentally, you'll notice that I was holding a Starbucks cup for our engagement photos. And that I look really awkward in any wedding photos where I wasn't holding my flowers. And when I was student teaching, it was a joke with my classes that they needed to come and pick up their pen from the little collection that ended up on my desk by the end of each class, after circulating to help the students with their work - and accidentally stealing their pens.)

Anyway. Back to Cocoon. The only trouble with this mug-clutching situation (other than the inevitable caffeine buzz, and the hardcore withdrawal I experienced when I had to switch to decaf while I was pregnant) was that I talk with my hands, and would put down said cup of coffee whenever I needed to explain something to someone. You could find me two minutes later, searching the office for my accidentally discarded mug. Which wouldn't have been a big deal, except that Kyle was equally bad at leaving his mug on people's desks, in meeting rooms, etc. And then we didn't always know which lonely mug was which. (Of course, Cocoon is a branding agency. So all the mugs in the office were identical and colour-coordinated with our office, our logo, etc.)

Geoff very cleverly decided to buy me a 'work mug' as a gift. It is lovely - curvy and white and full of George Clooney (he illustrated it for charity). And so this mug spent lots and lots of time in my hands at Cocoon for probably a year and a half before I went on mat leave. It was a sad day when I packed it up to bring it home with me - along with my bobbleheads, my photos, Flat Eric, the snitch, my tiara, and all the other stuff from my desk.

But here's the thing. I can't bring myself to use my At Work Mug at home. I tried it once, and it made me tear up. It just makes me miss work. There are so many emotions attached to it. And so, every morning, I pour myself a cup of coffee on our kitchen counter and it goes into my At Home Mug - the Starbucks mug we brought home from Seattle last year. I keep on thinking that I'll use the George Clooney mug tomorrow... But I never do. It's such a strange thing.

I know. I need therapy. Or at least more interesting things to blog about. Unfortunately, I was forced to (reluctantly) cancel our playdate with Nicole and Palmer because of the icky weather today.

How about you? Any strange quirks or rituals you feel like confessing on this dismal March morning with the sleet coming down outside?



PS - I still *heart* the obnoxious green in my kitchen. Best paint colour EVER. I can't believe that - almost two years later - it still makes me smile every single time.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 24, 2009 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the things I love about you, Lindsay. You 'heart' about a lot of things and that makes you a special gal:)
Don't envy you your current weather):

 
At March 25, 2009 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, nope, no confessions. Not right now anyway. I'm just trying to come up with something to blog about other than being sick. :)

 
At March 25, 2009 2:33 PM, Blogger ka said...

I actually miss work very little (good thing, considering I'm not going back there :). In fact, I found my old water bottle from the office the other day and started using it because I *heart* it a lot more than the one I had at home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home