Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Crime Doesn't Pay

...but religion sure as heck can! :)

I've been making one or two phone calls every couple of weeks since my second trimester, in an effort to find a day care spot for Briony. Most of the time, those phone calls end with (a) Lindsay throwing something across the room, or (b) Lindsay crying. Usually both, because I'm super-frustrated about waiting lists of 400+ children. And the idea of dropping off Briony ANYWHERE makes me feel physically ill.

I know that we have until October to figure this all out, but the child care situation in Winnipeg right now is beyond stupid and I know that I'm already late to be making these phone calls. I refuse to find ourselves in a place where I have to leave my baby girl somewhere I don't feel 100% good about when it's time for mommy to go back to work. And so, I make these phone calls...

Today, I finally hit pay dirt when I got the contact info for a day care that is loosely affiliated with Geoff's church. Turns out that - despite the fact that they currently have a waiting list of over 150 children - Geoff's church membership gives us priority. Basically, Briony magically moves to Spot #1 as soon as she turns two, so the worst case scenario would be that we might need to wait for the next available opening at that point. And she'd be in day care with some of the same kids that she goes to church with. But you read the catch... They don't accept children until they turn two. ARGH.

So I have a *great* place for her to go as soon as she's two years old. Now, what to do in the meantime? I've figured out that - with Geoff's work schedule - the most childcare we'd actually require in a month is between five and ten days total. Really, we could make due very well with some kind of a casual arrangement with a stay-at-home mom or someone who wanted to come to our house. It would be complicated, but I think we could probably make it work - at least for the year between when I go back to work and when Briony can get into day care.

Isn't it incredible how quickly life can go from 'normal' to diapers and drool and day care? And, perhaps more interestingly, how quickly those things become a new kind of 'normal'? :)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At February 03, 2009 6:09 PM, Blogger Jobina said...

Shoot, I know someone in your area, but she only takes Teachers kids. If you would drive her out to St.Vital I'd LOVE to take care of her for a year!!! Hope something works out for you!

 
At February 03, 2009 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It might be worth your while to submit a request to Bethel Moms as someone may be willing to help you out for a year.

 
At February 03, 2009 8:36 PM, Blogger gloria said...

i can take her for a year, but you'd have to pay room and board or take a teen in exchange

 
At February 03, 2009 10:53 PM, Blogger Karla said...

When I went back to work part time after daughter #1, I put a "notice" up on the bulletin board at Bethel Mennonite (not the church we went to - just in my neighborhood) and I had an amazing stay at home mom call me and the situation worked out amazingly. Briony may be the answer someone else is looking for!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home