Monday, September 15, 2008

...Yawn...

All weekend, I've been fighting to get some sleep. And I've been losing. I've tried everything I can think of and have given myself a nightly routine that includes (a) writing down the things I'm stressing about so that they're out of my head, and then (b) spending time with a good book in a bubble bath until I'm starting to feel sleepy/pruny. And still, I'm awake more than I'm asleep. I keep thinking the next night will be better, because I'm about 50% more exhausted than I was the night before... But no. I just keep adding exhaustion on top of exhaustion, until I became convinced that there was something seriously wrong with me.

Then this morning, I got one of my 'baby emails' in my Inbox. The topic? Third trimester insomnia, which is apparently very common - like 75% of all expecting moms common.

It doesn't really fix the situation (and all of their 'ideas' for how to deal with it were useless - as in, things I'm already doing), but it reassured me that I'm normal. Which seems to be a common theme already. I should really lighten up.

It's beyond cruel. Just when I need sleep more than ever - and when I know that I'm about to lose MONTHS of sleep once Briony comes - there is absolutely no sleep to be had. Here's hoping it was just a temporary setback. Because Lindsay is TIRED. And the only way I'm going to survive an intense final four weeks of work (and final seven weeks of pregnancy) is by getting some sleep.

Ironically, I'm pretty sure that if I crawled under my desk right now, I'd sleep like a baby...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At September 15, 2008 11:14 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I used to sleep under my desk at work on my lunch breaks.

You are DEFINITELY normal.

 
At September 15, 2008 12:48 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I would sleep in the back seat of my car and set the alarm on my cell phone. Totally normal.

 
At September 15, 2008 1:23 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Slept on the couch in our green room at work during lunch. Completely normal. Just getting you ready for baby.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I felt like I got more sleep (albeit more interrupted, but more in terms of total hours) once Palmer finally arrived. Here's hoping the same can be said once Briony makes her arrival.

Here's hoping Mr. Sandman is kind to you tonight.

 
At September 15, 2008 2:00 PM, Blogger Danae said...

i totally can relate... hardly slept well at all in my last trimester, mostly due to heartburn and never finding a comfortable position, but like everyone says, and it's true, that it prepares you for baby, making it a less traumatic experience being up during the night later :)... nap lots when you are on mat leave before baby comes!

 
At September 15, 2008 4:55 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Oh, these answers are making me laugh... You could all write a book about unusual places to take a nap :)

I am SO looking forward to mat leave naps!

 
At September 15, 2008 10:56 PM, Blogger Tannis said...

I'm thinking you're going to wish you'd never, ever sleep like a baby! It's not restful, or long. Perhaps it's worry free though, maybe that's what the phrase means.

 
At September 15, 2008 11:05 PM, Blogger Charlene said...

I never slept at the end of my pregnany either, between being ridiculously uncomfortable, and the general anxiety I felt being so close to meeting my baby. luckily I took the "sleep when baby sleeps" advice and managed to get through it unscathed. hope you are able to get some sleep soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home