Monday, September 08, 2008

Three Random Updates (and a song)

Just a quick (okay, super-long) update on a few of the things that happened in our world this weekend...

1. Lindsay got in an accident.

I stopped for groceries on my way home on Friday so that I could be a good wife and make dinner, and a good sister and pick up a bunch of stuff for my sister's baby shower. On my way out of the parking lot, I was stopped at a red light and waiting to turn left... And the guy stopped behind me - for some unknown reason - didn't notice that his foot has slipped off the brake and he hit the back of my car.

Not really a huge deal. He was going really slowly. And it was minimal damage to my car. But I immediately felt that my neck and my back were messed up. I need to make a decision in the next day or two about whether or not to bother with a claim. I'm just very concerned about having a less-than-healthy spinal situation going on while I complete my last two months of pregnancy.

And after I drove away, I started freaking out (not really Lindsay's characteristic cool). It's just *so* scary that something like that can happen in a split second, and I was immediately worried about whether or not the baby was okay. And so it begins...

2. Lindsay & Geoff skipped the country.

As planned, Geoff and I set off earlyish on Saturday morning and headed to Grand Forks to do a bunch of baby shopping. We didn't find absolutely everything that we'd hoped to, but we did find a lot of great stuff for good prices. Hooray. (Kari-Ann was right. These little monkeys are expensive.)

Our very favourite purchase of the day was an ivory zip-up hoodie made of this really furry fleece, and it has little bear ears on the hood. Unfortunately for Briony, her parents are very amused by baby outfits that incorporate animal ears, animal feet, or other unusual features. I hope she'll be too young to realize that we're pointing and falling over laughing at her when she's dressed up in this stuff.

In between all our shopping, we made some time for lots and lots of people-watching. Funny stuff. I don't even really know where to start.

3. We spent some Quality Time with my family.

After our daytrip to the Land of Republicans, we decided to stop at my parents' place - which is almost an hour closer to Grand Forks than our house is. By this point, my newly mangled back and neck were finished with the whole road trip idea. In the morning, Geoff headed to Winnipeg to do sound for church, and I spent time with my dad and then my mom and then my brother who rotated through the chair across the table from me throughout the morning. Around lunchtime, my mom and I got dressed and prettied ourselves up (she was more successful that I was... pregnant glow my ass) and left for Jessica's baby shower - picking up Aaron's girlfriend Cait along the way.

After the shower, Geoff met us back at my parents' place and we had dinner together and hung out for a while before heading back to the Big City.

This last round of chemo really took its toll on my mom. When we got there on Saturday night, I could see that her eyes were sick. For some reason, that's the hardest thing for me to see in all of this: when her eyes look like that. She's so brave and so strong, but this past week was a really, really hard week. I just want for all of this to be over, and for my family to start the process of figuring out what 'normal' means after cancer.

It all kind of hit me again last night after we got home. I guess I hadn't cried for a couple of weeks. And now I'm kind of wishing that I'd stuffed that down deep inside for another couple of days, because I'm feeling really raw and fragile today.

Days like today always make me think of that old Jewel song. Which always makes me think about my mom :)

I was thinking that I might fly today
Just to disprove all the things that you say
It doesn't take a talent to be mean
Your words can crush things that are unseen
So please be careful with me, I'm sensitive
And I'd like to stay that way

You always tell me that it's impossible
To be respected and be a girl
Why's it gotta be so complicated?
Why you gotta tell me if I'm hated?
So please be careful with me, I'm sensitive
And I'd like to stay that way

I was thinking that it might do some good
If we robbed the cynics and took all their food
That way what they believe will have taken place
And we can give it to people who have some faith
So please be careful with me, I'm sensitive
And I'd like to stay that way

I have this theory that if we're told we're bad
Then that's the only idea we'll ever have
But maybe if we are surrounded in beauty
Someday we will become what we see
'Cause anyone can start a conflict
It's harder yet to disregard it
I'd rather see the world from another angle

We are everyday angels
Be careful with me 'cause I'd like to stay that way


- I'm Sensitive (Jewel)

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At September 08, 2008 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures:) It sounds like an eventful weekend. I hope and pray the back and neck are OK but recommend filing a claim, just in case...

 
At September 09, 2008 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's let your friends in on your little inside joke - Picture me, if you know me, with pigtails and ribbons and clips, in a pretty pink checkered skirt and a guitar...lipsynching to this Jewel song at a WOL Ladies Retreat. Now you've got a visual to go with the song - sorry ;) Hope I didn't ruin it for you. The words were quite appropriate for a weekend of being with women!

 
At September 10, 2008 10:50 AM, Blogger JoJo said...

One of my favorite Jewel songs. My daughters sound like angels when they sing it. Hope your back and neck pain gets better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home