Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Irony & The Agony of Reality Television

I don't know when I started watching TV again, and I don't necessarily like it. I used to be able to go weeks without spending any real amount of time in front of the TV - other than The Office and some occasional episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. But lately, with my non-existent energy levels, all I want to do is sit on my couch and stare blankly at the screen. The problem is that (a) I fear I will become morbidly obese, and (b) I'm totally sucked into these shows now.

Nevermind the fact that some of these new obsessions are (so embarrassing...) reality shows.

Tonight brings not one but TWO major television events to my living room: the finale of The Biggest Loser (which always always always makes me cry), and the first episode of American Idol since my darling Michael Johns got voted off (which also kind of makes me want to cry).

It reminded me of the last season of American Idol that I actually watched, when Constantine got voted off... So sad. Now I'm left with all my hopes hanging on Carly and David Cook - and I'm so scared that annoying Brooke or super-annoying Young David will end up in the final. Shudder. A shudder that they might win. And an even bigger shudder that it actually kind of matters to me.

But it does. Have you SEEN Ali? She's lost 99 pounds, and she looks so amazing. You can tell by the way she walks now that she feels so good about herself. I'll be so sad if she doesn't win the money. But regardless, her entire life has been changed, and how can you NOT be happy for all of these people?

I wish that I didn't care. I really do. But these darn reality show producers are just so CLEVER in their devilish schemes to draw me in...

So ironic that I'm getting fat from sitting on my couch and watching other people lose weight on TV.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At April 15, 2008 6:05 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At April 15, 2008 6:07 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Thank you for the comment about annoying young David - he irks me.

 
At April 15, 2008 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've told myself I won't watch reality tv anymore, but sadly I'm drawn, rather, SUCKED into "The Bachelor: London Calling" lately. More skanky, morally wrong drama there has never been, but alas, I'm addicted : ) At least what you are watching serves some purpose in life rather than a horny brit whose sole purpose is to makeout and or fornicate with as many beautiful, if somewhat annoying women in one episode. (Did I really say fornicate?)

 
At April 15, 2008 9:41 PM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

not fat -- baby fat. :) Don't worry, you're not the only one glued to the TV. ;)

 
At April 15, 2008 10:03 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Oh, Erin... I *love* The Bachelor. And I'll admit I'm enjoying this pathetic, slutty little season just as much as always :)

 
At April 15, 2008 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to hear someone else has stooped to such low tv viewing standards as me : )

 
At April 16, 2008 8:36 AM, Blogger ka said...

Yeah, um, mine is Dancing with the Stars. Can't explain it. I never watched the show until I got pregnant, and now I've watch both the fall version and am hooked on the spring one too.

But I'll blame Junior too. I also go to bed at 9:30 now. I've NEVER done that in my life...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home