Monday, February 25, 2008

About the Death of Customer Service

On Sunday after lunch, I dropped Geoff off at home to get some more sleep, then I set out for Polo Park - I had decided to tackle our wedding photos (we only have our giant proof book right now, and really - no one loves us enough to pretend that ALL those pics of us are interesting). I had the right attitude going in, and the proper gear: lots of time and a grande skinny cinnamon dolce latte.

Well, friends. All of these good intentions fell to s^!t after 10 minutes in Black's. First off, the store was absolutely empty for the first 30 minutes that I was there. And not one salesperson bothered acknowledging that I was there. In fact, all three of them were behind the counter, discussing which Oscar-nominated movies they'd seen (and their wish that it would stay slow so they could clean up and close early) - rather loudly and obnoxiously.

At that point, a few other people came into the store, and one couple pulled up a stool at the kiosk next to mine. Three kiosks, two stools - another irritation. It was an irritation that became a ginormous pain in my ass when 45 minutes into my visit, one of the salespeople who'd been previously ignoring me came to let me know that she needed my stool for 30 seconds to take someone else's passport picture. Awesome. Her 30 second photo shoot actually took closer to 10 minutes - after which she pushed the stool over to the far empty kiosk and returned to her movie talk. Argh. I retrieved my stool and went back to ordering my prints. Finally, I was done. I checked the clock: 4.50. Sweet. I could still get my one hour photo done before they closed at 6.00.

Except that the couple who'd been at the kiosk beside me finished up 30 seconds before I did and brought their receipt to the counter. They'd never been to Black's before, so the salesperson spent 10 minutes explaining all the different prepaid options, finishing choices, account set-up, and on and on and on... I waited in line behind them while the other two employees kept yakking it up. Finally, I made it to the till. It was now 5.03 and - so sorry - they would no longer be able to offer one hour photo because it was only 57 minutes until close.

Oh. My. God.

The snotty little girl behind the counter declared - quite self-righteously - that I could return at 5.00 on Monday to pick them up. I asked what time they opened. She told me they opened at 10.00. I asked why my one hour photo would take 7 hours and 57 minutes. She looked at me, confused. I tried again... If it's one hour photo, can't I come back at 11.00? Finally, with a promise that they'd TRY for 12.00 on Monday, I took my receipt and left. Particularly irritating, because I go to Black's SPECIFICALLY because they're usually the best at service. Grrr.

On my way out of the mall, I picked up a few things at Safeway. The cashier didn't look up or say hi. She didn't ask for my Club Card or my Airmiles. She didn't thank me by name (which annoys me, but they're SUPPOSED to do it!). She looked absolutely miserable and sullen. I wanted to kick her.

I miss proper customer service. I'm one of those people who straight-up expects it. I go out of my way to shop at places that offer good service. And I'll avoid places that don't. As a person who works in the retail industry, it's pretty much the entire point of your job to make / keep me happy and help me spend my money in your store.

That should be so simple. I don't know why it's so hard.

How about you guys? What places do you frequent or avoid because of service experiences?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At February 25, 2008 5:01 PM, Blogger ka said...

Um, if I avoided all places with crappy customer service, I'd probably never leave the house. All aboard with online shopping. Or at the very least doing all your homework online and then just making the necessary stop to get what you need, though you know ahead of time what it is.

Seriously. And it doesn't help when you spend more money - I've been buying everything from flooring to paint to baby bottles lately and no one is overly thrilled to be there. Did you read my post on the fabric shopping? Make me wait in THREE lines and measure all my purchases TWICE and then tell me that there was some mistake and now my purchases are going to cost me more?! I don't think so...

 
At February 25, 2008 9:50 PM, Blogger sherri said...

The best photo place in the peg is Don's ...a little tip for the next time you need photos. Your experience will be much better.

I am most irritated by bad customer service that occurs in places I used to work...because I know it should not be that way. Ordering a tea misto in NY was bloody frustrating.

 
At February 25, 2008 10:25 PM, Blogger Black Out Photography said...

Wow... you should come shop at my store.....We've gotten 100% on all of our mystery shopper reports so far. SIRENS BABY! ;)

 
At February 27, 2008 1:21 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT move to Calgary. Customer service doesn't exist here mainly because our economy is out of control so there aren't enough people to hire, but when they do, they hire teens with no manners. Sad times indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home