Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Letter to Winnipeg

Dear Winnipeg,

That was a MEAN TRICK you played this week. On Saturday and Sunday, we were all out enjoying our awesome new 9 km ice skating trail on the river in -3 degree weather. And this morning when I had to go to work, it was -45 with the windchill.

All I really want to know is WHY? I've been so kind to you. When other people make fun of you for having so many mosquitoes in summer, I tell them about the Jazz Festival and the Fringe Festival and Folklorama and all our nearby beaches and hiking trails... All the things that make you fun when the weather's nice. And when they ask how we can stand the cold winters, I tell them you're not so bad - that the temperatures are bearable and that we make the most of it with outdoor activities and amazing theatre and incredible concerts and a decent hockey team... All the things that make you fun when the weather's not so nice.

And then you go and pull a trick like this. Seriously... Was -45 really necessary? That's beyond ridiculous. Mere steps from my car on the way to the office, your frigid winds began to attack and suffocate me. It was MEAN and NASTY. And I'm told that you're going to be treating us this way for at least a couple of days? Very immature.

I love you. You know I do. Because there's really no sane, rational reason to live here otherwise. But the way you're treating me today makes me wonder if this might be turning into an abusive relationship.

Please consider changing your mind about this awful winter weather, Winnipeg. We're good people here, and - quite frankly - you need us sticking up for you.

Sincerely,
ME

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At January 29, 2008 12:01 PM, Blogger ka said...

Ironically my 16 year old cousin I'm staying with was PRAYING for school NOT to be cancelled... It's exam week and she's supposed to be off Friday with big plans of a wild weekend in the city with her big sister. First time I've ever seen a kid pray for school. Whatever. She got her wish because it's all systems go in WinMor. :)

 
At January 29, 2008 6:20 PM, Blogger gloria said...

BOL.

My son, too, is hoping the schools are not cancelled again tomorrow. He does not want a backlog of homework to ruin his Thursday.

 
At January 30, 2008 9:39 AM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Great letter! Can I please just cut and paste with one minor edit of "Dear Calgary"?

This is awful! Apparently the better weather is on it's way back today and tomorrow out here in Cowtown, but we'll be back to the cold come the weekend. Gross.

 
At January 30, 2008 10:17 AM, Blogger esther said...

ok that was funny...thanks for that :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home