Wednesday, April 11, 2007

You're It!

I'm signed up to do Tag Day for The Arthritis Society on Saturday, May 12 at the south Osborne Safeway location. All the money I raise goes to my Joints in Motion project.

What's Tag Day? Officially, it's when annoying people trying to raise money for charity hang around outside a grocery store with a box around their neck and ask you for change - and then you 'tag' them with a sticker so that you don't harass them again on their way out. It's not *quite* as horrible as I've described it, but I won't lie - it's TOUGH.

I'm determined to do my Tag Day with a little more style. So here's my idea.

I did my first and only full marathon in 2004, and it took me 8 hours and 27 minutes to walk 26.2 miles. That's a LONG TIME. My idea is to set up a treadmill outside the Safeway entrance, and have friends and family stop by to keep that treadmill going all day - from 9.33 am until 6.00 pm - and demonstrate how much farther we can make it when we're all working together.

We'll still have a table set up for donations (and I'm checking to see if we can sell hot dogs, bring face paints, and some other fun stuff), but we'll have a draw and a story. Plus, I absolutely love the idea of getting all of you involved.

Interested? AWESOME. I need you to email me and sign up! I don't care if you can run 5 miles or if you can walk 5 steps, I just need to know that you're coming. I'm going to be in sweats and sneakers, and I'll help... But I'm going to need all of you to make it all the way.

I'll also need people to come and sit at the table to take donations, for hot dogs and face painting if that happens, and to just hang out and chat with the people who stop by - everyone has a story to tell about how arthritis has affected them or someone they love.

So... Are you in? :)

PS - Don't forget about the Garage Sale happening on April 28!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At April 12, 2007 10:33 AM, Blogger gloria said...

L, I have come to expect multiple posts from you everyday, don't let me down girl!

 
At April 12, 2007 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Linds......if you're nice to me at practice for say like...the next year, then I'll help. LOL
Of course I will help anyway. Baely has a hockey tournie that week-end but when I find out what his schedule is, I'll sign up for something on your end. I don't want to hog the treadmill, so I guess I can let others have a turn too.
Alison

 
At April 12, 2007 7:39 PM, Blogger Erin said...

It's our anniversary that day, but if we have time maybe we'll pop in to at least say hi and cheer you and whomever is on the treadmill on!

 
At April 12, 2007 9:36 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I have a few offline volunteers already too, so we're off to a good start... :)

Gloria: If I post every day, will you volunteer to come and run? :P

Alison: So excited! And, um, I'm pretty sure I'm always nice to you. Sarcasm is my love language.

Erin: I'd be honoured... But that's a pretty sweet excuse if you can't make it. I bet you LOTS of people will be wishing they'd been married on May 12...

 
At April 13, 2007 11:08 PM, Blogger gloria said...

oh gf, have you SEEN me run? I did NOT get this size by being physically fit!I will walk at a brisk pace though if you have a medic (preferably 25 or younger and yummy) readily available.

 
At April 13, 2007 11:09 PM, Blogger gloria said...

oh CRAP! May 12? That is my husband's 35th b-day! Honestly, ask C is you do not believe the g!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home