Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Three Years Tomorrow


On January 18, 2004, a ridiculously long 8 hours and 27 minutes after I left the starting line and almost 12 years after I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, I completed the Bermuda International Marathon.

No one was as surprised as I was. If you had asked me at Mile 4 – or even at Mile 24 – if I was going to finish, I would have laughed at the question. The pain I experienced was extreme, but not as extreme as my worst day with arthritis. As I walked, I made new friends – others whose lives have been touched by arthritis and who have committed time, energy, and massive fundraising efforts to participate in Joints in Motion.

With every step, I felt like I was beating the disease; I was making research happen and I was defying the odds. Crossing that finish line changed my life.

L


The morning of the marathon
(what a sucker... I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for)


Me & Mom


Starting the second half


Approaching the Finish Line
(my mom swears that when I'm reallyreally determined, I *always* walk with my left arm swinging outward a little farther for momentum... weird)


Moments after I finished
(and moments before I collapsed in a giant puddle of excruciating pain and my toenails started dropping off... ugh)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home