Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Best Laid Plans

Today is the day that President George Bush will present his country's 'new strategy' for Iraq. Funny, I'm sure they were largely unaware of Canada's parliamentary cabinet shuffle last week. Odd how our countries are so intertwined, but it's only us caring about what they're up to. I sincerely doubt they watch our national news, or laugh at the Air Farce jokes :)

Anyhow. I read something on Katie Couric's blog this morning (I KNOW! I'M A NERD!) that impacted me so much, I just needed to share it:

"So far, the price tag (for the Iraq war) is at least 350 billion dollars, about four times the budget of the Department of Education. Combined with the war in Afghanistan, it's over half a trillion dollars, rapidly approaching the inflation-adjusted 663 billion we spent over two decades in Vietnam. Last month the Pentagon requested a hundred billion more.

"Of course, freedom is not always free. But regardless of your politics, it's important to know exactly what we're spending, and why... The true cost of war isn't measured in dollars, but in lives. Whether the sacrifice of those who have given theirs is worth America's investment will be debated for years to come."

I'm not going to get into the whole debate, I just think it's important to be aware of what's going on in the world. I wonder how much good that many hundreds of billions of dollars could have done. And I wonder why we live so proudly in a country that stands by and communicates support through our silence.

L

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 11, 2007 10:18 PM, Blogger sherri said...

Have a good night Linds. Hopefully we'll chat soon. I have a little update for you...it is good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home