Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My Big Fat Greek Trip to the Library

Have I mentioned that I'm learning Greek? Well, kind of.

This past Saturday, I spent the better part of my afternoon at our city's downtown Millennium Library. Can you believe that I'd never been before? It's only been open for maybe a year, but still... Anyway. It was pretty cool.

I went early and grabbed a cup of coffee, and sat by the windows in the cafe - reading a book and people-watching. At least until the fifth weird-smelling homeless person approached me for money to buy some food. I don't want to sound super-mean, and I know that it's freezing cold outside and that these people need to eat... But it doesn't really make me want to go back and hang out in the cafe at the library. I don't give change to people on the street anymore - doing a campaign for the Downtown BIZ a few years ago cured me of that impulse. Still, when I left the cafe, I cleaned up my garbage but left my wrapped, untouched sandwich on the table. I'm probably a sucker, but what if they really were hungry?

After a while, I got up and did some exploring, travelling up the funky glass elevator overlooking the courtyard that will be gorgeous in summer (but is barren and snow-covered at the moment). Past the novels, past the children's literature, past the archives - and up to the audiobooks and travel guides. I found *exactly* what I'd been after: a CD that will teach me to speak basic Greek for travellers.

So that's been my new project, on my way to work in the morning and home again in the evening. I must look crazy, muttering to myself in a foreign language. And it is foreign... Greek is really tricky. None of the words remind me of anything, and the intonation is not what I expected it to be. It will definitely take me until November to catch on to this at all.

So far, I've learned to say yes, no, good morning, good evening, good night, thank you, and excuse me (in case I bump into someone).

The highlight of the CD so far: they are actually trying to teach me to say 'Do you speak English?' in Greek. Can someone please explain that to me? I refuse to repeat it. It's the dumbest thing in the entire world.

Well, almost as dumb as me leaving my sandwich behind :)

L

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 17, 2007 12:32 PM, Blogger ka said...

I love you "excuse me" is on your list. Between that and leaving behind your sandwich, you could almost convince people that you are a genuine do-gooder.

Until they ask you for spare change, that is.

(Oh, whatever. I never give out change either. I think it was a similar project with Downtown Winnipeg BIZ :).

 
At January 18, 2007 12:09 AM, Blogger sherri said...

Yeah I dont usually give out change either. I was told my YMI that its not good. Your better off to give things such as..food, clothing, or a listening ear. You never know where the money is going and it could be more damage than good....though sometimes I am a sucker. Dang homeless people know how to tug at my heartstrings. My friend Holly carried around TIm Hortons gift certificates and if she has time she will say tell me why I should help you or ask what their story is and if the story somehow seems legit she will give them $5 Timmy Bucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home