Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Damaged Goods

I don't know why I second-guess myself. Last week, I got a pedicure in a *new* colour and the whole time the girl was painting my toenails, I was thinking, 'This is a mistake.' See, the nail place didn't have that colour for sale - and I have a personal rule that demands I never get a pedicure in a colour I don't own (in case it chips and I need to fix it up).

Well, guess what. It chipped. And I had to go last night and try to find somewhere that sold it. Fortunately, it was a one-stop adventure. But still. Lesson learned.

I know what you're thinking... This girl is SHALLOW. No worries, this is one minor blip on my radar screen today. And it's actually a very clever intro to what's really on my mind this week. (HA! Kari-Ann will LOVE this one...)

So here's a funny thing: Sunday School starts this coming weekend, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I don't think that has ever happened before. But our Young Adults class is starting a new book that I'm really excited about. It's called 'The Naked Christian' and it's all about being real and authentic - instead of acting 'churchy' and pretending that because we're religious that everything in our lives is sunshine and rainbows. It's a topic I'm pretty passionate about. And I think we'll have some really amazing discussions.

It's got me thinking... Who was it who decided that Christians were supposed to act this way? I'm pretty sure it was us. But I don't get it... If we pretend that our lives are perfect, then why bother with Christianity at all? If we've got it all together and we're good people who never do anything wrong, then why did we need to be saved? It's completely illogical. I think we can be a much more effective encouragement to the world around us if we let our imperfections show (but still wear make-up in public, obviously).

I'm equally excited about the church bulletin announcements I'll be able to submit this fall: 'Come check out The Naked Christian! Sundays at 9.30!'

:)

L

1 Comments:

At September 06, 2006 6:43 PM, Blogger ka said...

You take your reader from a SHALLOW discussion of how your pedicure chipped, into RELIGION! You're right, and I'm not even going there.

Though if the church bulletin had said that when I was at the "impressionable" age, I may still be a good church goer today. Either that, or I'd know who all the Peeping Toms were in town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home