Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Long Weekends and the Return of Humpday Breakfast

First of all, I'd like to offer my sincere appreciation and congratulations to the FOUR of you who showed up for our inaugural revival of Humpday Breakfast. We had a lovely early-morning meal at Sal's on the bridge. Now let's aim to up next week's attendance by 50%, okay? :)

Now, to back up a little bit...

It's so funny to me how we all make a big fuss about long weekends. On Friday afternoon, those three days of freedom ahead of us seem to stretch on forever, big enough to hold infinite plans and possibilities. And then on Monday, you realize that it was just like any other weekend - just a little bit longer.

On Friday night, I met Rocky for a late showing of 'Miami Vice' - pretty much the worst movie ever. Which pretty much made it the best movie ever. We laughed a lot. And I was seriously wishing I'd waited to rent it, so we could have Mystery Science Theatre'd it. I was telling Aaron and Cait about it when I dropped them off at the bus depot on Saturday morning (where only two people in two minutes asked us for money). Aaron reminded me of the time we rented 'Domestic Disturbance' - the worst John Travolta movie EVER - and watched in on mute, providing our own version of dialogue. Ah, good times. Actually, my second-favourite entertainment moment with my brother. The best was when we used to watch sitcoms and mute all the punchlines.

Checked out the Red Top for brunch on Saturday, which was a 'Miami Vice'-like experience: so bad it was good. This little Seinfeldesque diner near my house is absolutely trapped in a timewarp and even boasted a few diner must-haves like an overly friendly owner, a sarcastic and harried middle-aged waitress, a table full of old men, a wall of autographed pics from local pseudocelebrities. The whole cast was there, baby. I was thrilled. I will definitely be back.

The rest of the weekend was spent at the lake with my parents. The weather wasn't great, but we watched some movies, sat around the fire, slept in, played a little bit of tennis, and la piece de resistance: I got to read an entire legal mystery paperback from cover to cover. It was pretty much the definition of a great, relaxing weekend.

And then it was over, and it was back to reality. Reality being, of course, a busy week at work. And the anticipation of Humpday Breakfast, of course :)

L

PS - Added a few more of my favourite links over here -->

What's new? Dwell and Icon are some of my all-time favourite magazines. VF Daily Dose is a great portal for lazy people who want to know what's going on in the world in three clicks or less. Daily Candy's just FUN. Contagious makes me smile. Core77 likes to write about Cocoon, so they MUST be good people. And Get Elastic is my official shout-out to J (and all the other geeks in my life).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home