Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Trauma at the Grocery Store

So I had a tough thing happen to me last night. And I wasn't going to comment on it. But then I realized that these things are born in ignorance, and so talking about it is important.

(Not implying that any of my lovely blog readers are ignorant :)

Yesterday was a Bad Day. I say that not because lots of bad things happened, but because my arthritis was flared up and I was in a significant amount of pain. And doing my famous little old duck waddle/shuffle. But I needed groceries. And I refuse to be a victim (and I'd already had to ask for help, getting Kari-Ann to pick me up and drive me to my car).

So I stopped at Safeway on my way home, feeling self-conscious right away because I KNOW I look weird when I 'walk' like that (using the term 'walk' very loosely - LOL). And there were these kids inside, three of them, around 10 years old. Two girls and a boy. They decided to get some amusement from making fun of me, pointing and giggling and pretending to walk like me.

It was absolutely the most hurtful thing that I've ever experienced. I cried for about fifteen minutes when I got home, those big, hurt-feelings tears accompanied by big, shaky breaths. And then I pulled it together and decided to move on.

I'm not whining or looking for pity. I just think that people need to be aware. Make sure you're not raising these kinds of kids, okay?

L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home