Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Rain, Fish, Books, Pink - Nothing Particularly Important

Finally today, some relief from this ridiculous heat. I woke up this morning and it was raining - quite pleasant, actually. I know not everyone is happy when it's raining outside, so I decided to proactively destroy any ideas my co-workers might have about being grumpy today and stopped at Tim Horton's for muffins and donuts on my way into the office this morning. Great idea until I pulled into the parking lot at work and realized I was going to have to balance my purse, my coffee, two boxes of breakfast goodies, and my umbrella. In heels. And our office is about four blocks away from the parking lot. Brilliant, Linds. Fortunately, just as I was contemplating my dilemma, Orville pulled up and volunteered to carry the boxes. Sweet.

I think something's wrong with Fish. He's just not looking very happy these days. His swimming is a little lethargic, and he's eating less than usual. I moved him closer to me, hoping that proximity to my radiant personality and stunning good looks might wake him up and give him some will to live (he is a boy, after all). I'll keep you posted.

Speaking of will to live, I'm almost finished 'A Long Way Down' - the new Nick Hornby book (he wrote some other goodies like 'About a Boy,' 'How to be Good,' and 'High Fidelity'). I never knew suicide attempts could be so darn funny. His style of writing amuses me, and every once in a while I read a sentence and think, 'Wow, Nick. That's EXACTLY how I would have said it!'

Also working on the updated version of Daniel Pink's 'A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future.' I picked it up (autographed, suckas!) in Montreal. Get a peek at the topic at http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.02/brain.html. It's making me feel wickedly powerful, and much happier with my high school math and science marks (or lack thereof). The world, according to Pink, will soon be ruled by artistry, empathy, and emotion. Doesn't that sound lovely? :)

L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home