Monday, December 06, 2010

The Amazing Race (Part 2)

We landed at La Guardia without incident - I should probably say without FURTHER incident, hehe - and made it to our hotel despite heavy traffic, closed streets, and a seriously impatient cab driver. I wasn't expecting it at all, but we actually got to see Central Park, the Guggenheim, the MET, the Waldorf Astoria, Grand Central Station, and a handful of other landmarks along the way. Awesomeness.

Our hotel - The Carlton - is incredible. We are SO happy with our choice. We knew it would be pretty, but I *way* underestimated how much prettier it would be all done up for Christmas. WOW.

Oh, and the advertising nerd in me is positively GIDDY over the fact that we are staying on Madison Avenue. I may never get a chance to work here (sniff sniff) but visiting is seriously cool.

Once we were settled in and unpacked, we set off to find the subway and got ourselves into Brooklyn. While waiting at a transfer, we ventured back to ground level to see the courthouses where so many Law + Order scenes are filmed. And Sex and the City's Hollywood Kiss, of course. I was super nerdy-excited :)

So back to the whole 'subway to Brooklyn' thing. I did not think that all the way through. We were sitting in the subway when I dawned on me that WE NEEDED TO CROSS A RIVER TO GET THERE. Then I started worrying about whether we were going UNDER the river or OVER the river at bridge-level. And then I realized that those were two different yet equally horrific options and I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I PREFERRED. But we made it there in one piece (bridge-level, way up above the water, if you really must know) and easily made our way over to Peter Luger Steakhouse.

Peter Luger made it onto our advance reservation list because of the many, MANY websites that have named it the best steak - in New York City, and sometimes in the entire US. We decided that we had to try it... We had the porterhouse steak for two with their 'special potatoes' and broccoli and a particularly good glass of wine.

Apparently, Gordon Ramsey was eating there on Friday night. Sorry we missed witnessing that, but it's still kind of cool.

Now, I'm no EXPERT on steak. And I certainly haven't tried every steak joint in the world. But that was really, really good steak. Geoff + I just kept making dorky faces at each other across the table, like OH MY GOD this is amazing. Easily the best steak I've ever eaten. And not just by a little bit. It was so worth the effort to get ourselves across the river, but we were SO tired by the time we got back to the hotel.

Tired. And full. And happy. And IN NEW YORK CITY :)

-

Enjoying dinner at Peter Luger...




Around our hotel...


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At December 06, 2010 11:19 PM, Anonymous Momma said...

sounds a bit yummier than our 'camping' food :0
Glad you got there safely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home