Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jump

Know how they say that you should do one thing every day that scares you? I should be good for a while, I'm thinking, because I did something today that scared the s&$# out of me.

I grew up making frequent summertime visits to Big Whiteshell Lake. There's a huge rock there by the water where people jump into the lake. It's probably only ten feet high, but it scared me SO MUCH when I was little. It still makes my hands sweaty to think about it. I jumped... Many times. And there's really nothing quite like that feeling of flying through the air, full of adrenaline and so much LIFE. The sad thing is that I'm all grown up now, and I think I'm probably too scared to ever do it again.

There's nothing really earth-shattering about jumping off a rock into a lake. But we face opportunities to make risky decisions of all scales every single day - whether it's pursuing a dream or trying something new at Starbucks (I'm still working my way up to that one).

Nothing annoys me more than someone who sits complacently, just waiting for great things to happen to them (and complaining about it when nothing changes). So today - with a stomach full of butterflies - I took a little jump. It might land me right back where I started. Or it could the start of something beautiful. Either way, I can live with the wonderful knowledge that I tried. And that's really all we can do.

What have you done that's scared you? What scary thing have you been contemplating - and what's stopping you from jumping?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At July 27, 2010 10:52 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

YAY You! I can't wait to hear all about it. I did something scary the other day too and it TOTALLY paid of in SO many ways. I have yet to blog about it, but it's coming :)

 
At July 27, 2010 11:59 PM, Anonymous Momma said...

Does writing my CHRP exam count? I'm registered and paid but I'm shaking in my boots not knowing how to study, what to study and even why I'm doing this except that I still want to get into real HR sometime soon.
Another "jumpy" thing was something I did this morning - I asked an almost stranger if I could pray with her and I did. And it was the right thing to do.

 
At July 28, 2010 3:07 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Gutsy ladies all:) I'm just waiting for my youngest granddaughter and her Mom!

 
At August 02, 2010 8:11 PM, Blogger Sara Beth said...

Hmm, good post. I agree re. complacent people - get up off your butt and get what you want!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home