Sunday, September 13, 2009

The One Where Heatstroke Affects My Parenting Abilities

Friday, September 11

Will it always feel strange to write 'September 11' now?

Today was a beautiful summer day in Abbotsford and it was HOT HOT HOT. After a quiet morning in, we decided to pack up Briony and go for a picnic lunch in the park followed by a walk. Here's what happened.

We chose a picnic table near the water. I sat down and immediately realized our mistake: we were sitting very nearby dozens and dozens of geese and probably five ducks. After the previous day's misadventures with the raccoons, I was understandably wanting to move... Geoff and Marilyn convinced me that I was safe, that Briony was safe, and that I needed to shut up, sit down, and eat my lunch. I did, but not without checking over my shoulder about every 0.8 seconds. After lunch, we took a HOT walk around Mill Lake, stopping to rest in the shade about halfway through. From there, our first order of business was to locate a gelati place. We did, and it was delicious... I must have been suffering from heatstroke or something, because I let Briony try a tiny taste of pear gelati. Her initial face was hilarious because of the cold, but then she was pretty enthusiastic about it. She happily played with two gelati bowls, smashing them together noisily while the rest of us ate our treats.

The rest of our day was pretty uneventful. Geoff helped his mom install a new blind in the kitchen. Briony splashed up a storm in the bathtub. We finished the final episode of Pushing Daisies season one (delightful, thanks for asking!). Pretty exciting stuff, hey? :)


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At September 26, 2009 3:22 AM, Anonymous AEDs said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home