Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The One Where I Earn My Keep

Monday, September 07.09

This morning was a little bit of a slower start for me. I've been feeling lousy-ish since we arrived - scratchy throat, tired, stuffy nose, flared up. It all caught up with me on Monday and I actually went back to bed after Briony got up, which is almost unheard of for me.

I had a few clients with deadlines coming up this week, so Geoff and Marilyn took Briony out for a walk and I had a couple of hours to get some stuff done. I surprised myself by being freakishly productive and finishing everything. I *love* when that happens.

Later, Aaron + Cait came over for tea and then stayed for dinner and another walk around Mill Lake (yeah, that happens a lot here). It was so nice to see them and help ease their transition a little bit.

Back to work stuff for a second...

I'm very comfortable with the deadlines and projects I have going on now with my freelance business, but it will be interesting to see what happens when we get home. It's time for me to really get serious about looking for clients and getting some more work started, but Briony's also getting much more active - and mischievous - now. And napping less. I know I can do it, I just want to be able to do it WELL.

Today was a good day, not only because I got things done, but because - for a brief shining moment - I actually felt SMART. I was writing an article on a topic I had absolutely no idea about, something incredibly technical and complicated and over my head, and when I really just sat down and concentrated, I UNDERSTOOD IT. Like totally understood it. And found that writing groove where I actually cared about the details and the person who would be reading it and all that garbage that writers are SUPPOSED to think about and care about.

It felt soooo good.

I wish I could bottle that up and save it for a rainy day, because it's powerful stuff. It erases all those feelings of feeling ugly with all my baby weight hanging out there (whatever, at least my face didn't get fat) and feeling lousy because I'm not June Cleaver cloned with Carol Brady (whatever, she had a housekeeper). Until about eight minutes later, of course. Which is precisely why I need to figure out a way to bottle it...



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home