Monday, September 28, 2009

Being A Loser

So I've signed myself up for a Biggest Loser Challenge, organized by my friend Mel. The deal is that we are being organized into teams of five people and working to be the team with the biggest percentage of weight loss between now and Christmas. We'll weigh in weekly and the winning team will pocket some cash just in time for the holidays.

I'm mostly excited about it. I'm also a little bit scared, if we're being honest here (and I see no reason not to be honest). I feel like I'm in a good place with all my post-eating disorder post-baby weight stuff... But this is the real test, isn't it? For months, I've let myself gain weight - and then plateau thirty pounds heavier than I've ever been in my life - because I'm too scared to try to lose weight, too scared to open up a book that's been closed, too scared that I'm just setting myself up to fail. The result is that I'm overweight and I don't like myself very much. Blech. Talk about a sad stereotype.

I'm actually reading a good book right now - Gaining by Aimee Liu - about life after eating disorders. And there's a particularly good chapter in the book about the potential implications for pregnancy, post-pregnancy, and raising a healthy child. My hope is that more and more people will talk about this, because I sure as heck can't be the only one. Well, I guess there are definitely two of us: me and Aimee Liu :)

I need to try this weight loss thing, but I'm approaching it cautiously. My goals are pretty small - and that's where I need to start. The very best part is that Geoff has signed up too. Looks like it will be a healthy, active autumn in the Wright household. I'm already weeping over all the NOs I'll be saying around Thanksgiving... And American Thanksgiving... And Geoff + Briony's birthdays...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At September 28, 2009 8:01 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said...

Sounds like a good group activity. Bon Chance:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home