Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The One Where We Single-Handedly Saved the Crashing US Economy

Yesterday was another early start, so that Rob & Vicky could leave for work - at least somewhat on time :)

Geoff and I packed up, I resisted the urge to grab a Starbucks from the location IN THEIR CONDO BUILDING (can you imagine?!), and we hit the open road, bound for Seattle. Okay, okay. If we're being honest, I made it about 20 km before we stopped at another Starbucks. But whatever.

We made some time for touristy stuff in Seattle. We wandered around Pike Place Market in the afternoon, where we visited the first-ever Starbucks location (I heard angels singing, I swear) and I got to see guys throwing fish (which thrilled me WAY too much). I also hugged the golden pig and checked out the wall of gum wads - though I was careful not to get too close. Geoff was a wonderful gentleman and even kept most of the pigeons away from me, though he took a wing to the shoulder for his efforts.

I took a few Seattle pictures of our marketplace adventures, but they're currently stuck on my phone... Stay tuned.

As we'd expected, it was a BIG shopping day, and we came home with a bunch of maternity clothes (hooray for countries that still sell Gap Maternity!), a baby sling that I love, some tiny newborn baby sleepers, and - are you ready for this - a trunk full of Classic Pooh nursery stuff.

I had it in my head that I wanted a very cool, modern, non-babyish baby room. And Geoff had his heart absolutely set on calm colours and Classic Pooh. How can you argue that?! We found some great deals on the crib set, and a matching snuggle blanket, simple flannel blankets, extra crib sheet, and the most adorable mobile ever.

We knew we'd owe a bunch at the border. When we got there, the Customs guy punched it all in, and apparently the computer wasn't calculating anything for Manitoba PST. He shrugged and congratulated us on the baby - and only charged us the 6% GST. Yay!

So while it may have been a good day for the American economy, I don't think we brought Manitoba any closer to a rapid transit system. Sorry, Gary Doer.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At June 04, 2008 11:06 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

Can I just say I'm digging the Friends title references! That's all. Enjoy the rest of your trip :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home