Friday, December 21, 2007

In Pursuit of the Christmas Spirit

It worked for Erin, so what the heck...

Wrapping paper or gift bags?
It's all about the UNwrapping. So the answer is obviously wrapping paper. I wrapped all of mine this year, but I've been having horrible little guilt attacks all week about the fact that I'm killing the planet with my need for giving superficially lovely gifts. Not enough to stop me, though :)

Real tree or artificial?
In my heart, it's a real tree. In my childhood, it's a real tree. In reality, I just simply require a tree up in my house for longer than a couple of weeks. And so, we have an artificial tree. But I've been having horrible little guilt attacks all month about the fact that our tree was likely manufactured with polyurethane, almost definitely shipping over from some country overseas, and possibly chock-full of lead or some other type of ghastly toxin. And then I read that the most environmentally-friendly way to do a Christmas tree (other than not having one) may be to just reuse an artificial one for a loooong time. And that made me feel a little bit better.

When do you put up the tree?
After American Thanksgiving, at my first opportunity.

When do you take the tree down?
I don't. Seriously. I had one roommate take my tree down in protest while I was in England with Erin, in the middle of February. That's by far the longest I've ever gotten away with it... But it's always after New Years.

Do you like eggnog?
Yes, but again - the guilt. I drink a few glasses of the light variety and count it as dairy + protein, which *has* to be a good thing. Right? It's two food groups!

Favourite gift received as a child?
I'm not even sure about this one. I can remember lots of good ones... As an adult, it has to be the Christmas my parents surprised me with command start in my car. That was AWESOME. If you're a Manitoban, you know what I mean. I'll never go back.

Do you have a nativity scene?
A tiny little frosted glass one that I got as a gift when I was a Sunday School teacher. I'd love something more prominent, and something that suits us and our space. I'll know it when I see it. Until then, I insist of having my little set somewhere in the living room - as a subtle reminder of what all this hoopla is actually about.

Hardest person to buy for?
Geoff. He'd probably be happy with anything I picked for him, but he's famous for buying himself pretty much whatever he wants - and so there's little left on whatever list of ideas I'd been keeping. And his hobbies are EXPENSIVE. I had a few ideas this year, and I went out on a limb a little bit... We'll see how that goes :)

Easiest person to buy for?
Probably my brother Aaron. I'm not really sure why. But I always have lots and lots of ideas for him, and that comes in handy because his birthday is January 1 and it's an excuse to pick more than one of those ideas. The hard part is figuring out which one to give him first!

Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. Come on. I don't even feel the environmental twinge on this one. Thoughtfulness and taking the time to write a card and make someone feel special trumps an email every time. Besides, getting *real* mail is SO FUN.

Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I don't think I've ever had a BAD gift, but you always get some of those generic weird-smelling-candles-and-bath-beads combos that make you wonder how many times it's been regifted...

Favourite Christmas movie?
The Grinch. The old cartoon one. That's all I'll say about that.

When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Typically, around the end of November. This year, we got a little bit of an early start because we picked up some stuff on our trip. But I have to be careful not to start too early, because I have a hard time stopping...

Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Nope.

Favourite thing to eat at Christmas?
It would be much simpler to list the things I DON'T eat at Christmas: fruitcake. Yep, that's probably it!

Clear lights or coloured on the tree?
White. No exceptions.

Favourite Christmas song?
Santa Baby. I know, but it's irresistable!

Travel at Christmas or stay home?
I've never spent a Christmas away from my family here in Manitoba (though my mom's family goes away for the weekend between Christmas and New Years every second year). And I love being home for Christmas. But I must admit... It feels incredibly strange this year to have Geoff's family in another province and to not be spending a part of the holidays with them.

Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
I'm sure I could.

Angel on the tree top or star?
Um, nothing. It didn't fit. Which is probably a good thing, because Geoff really hated the one I picked up new this year :)

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
I have a Christmas Eve family. Geoff and I are spending Christmas Day together this year, because that's how it worked between his schedule at work, my schedule at work, and family stuff. I have no idea what will actually stick as tradition when we have our own family.

Most annoying thing about this time of year?
Having to be PC about saying 'happy holidays' - or checking with people before you say the C-word. I'm so over it. Oh, and people being mean in the stores. Seriously. You know it's going to busy, so plan accordingly and make a choice (yes, I said it: CHOICE) to have a good attitude about the whole thing. I had to go to Superstore tonight and I knew what would happen... So I picked up a Gingerbread Latte at Starbucks on my way, got a stupid cart, and made sure I had a detailed list and lots of time. Let's just say that no one else seemed to be in my headspace on that one.

Favourite ornament, theme, or colour?
This year, our tree is gold, silver, and black. I don't know how to even begin to pick one favourite... This year, the ornament we picked up in England with Geoff's family is feeling pretty special. And the one Geoff bought me to mark our 1st Christmas last year. Anything that combines good design with a happy memory :)

Favourite for Christmas dinner?
I thought we covered this one: EVERYTHING.

What do you want for Christmas this year?
Time with the people I love. I know that sounds lame, but it's true. Any gifts that happen on top of that are gravy.

Mmm... Gravy...

Labels:

5 Comments:

At December 21, 2007 9:34 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I would like to know if there's a human being on this planet that LIKES fruitcake.

 
At December 21, 2007 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great answers! I would love to know who invented fruit cake and if they were still alive I would send them a nasty one every day for the rest of their miserable life so that they can understand how horrible it really is. And I have absolutely NO guilt about that! I hope you have a fabulous Christmas.

P.s. Ella asked me today, "Mommy, when are we going to see 'your Lindsay' again? I remember when we had hot dogs with her and I want to see her again." Out of the blue. I hadn't even said anything about you. She just remembers these things (that was in reference to your JIM fundraiser at the Safeway).

 
At December 21, 2007 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, that comment above was me. I'm trying to figure out this "open id" thing to sign in and it called me Fully. Maybe that's not what I want.

 
At December 21, 2007 3:54 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Re: Fruitcake. AGREED.

Re: Needing to see Erin and Jer and Ella and Aidan again sometime very soon. ALSO AGREED.

I'm a terrible pseudo-auntie... :)

 
At December 21, 2007 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mean to say that all of the fruitcake consumption is done by people who HATE it? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home