Thursday, October 05, 2006

Questions and Hope

I hate it when the news makes me cry. But I've been a crier lately when it comes to the news. I had to redo my mascara and eyeliner on Tuesday morning after a psychologist appeared on NewsNet to comment on Monday's Amish school shooting. Here was this professional, middle-aged man - and he actually broke down as he discussed the case, saying that this one really 'got to him' because he has two little girls at home. I don't think I've seen that kind of emotion on the news since 9/11 or Columbine - those really definitive news moments.

But you know what? It actually gives me hope. Because as long as people are still affected by violence and evil - having those emotional, gut reactions to it at the most basic human level - it means there's some humanity left in us.

So where's the balance between being aware of the evil in the world and being scared of it? Between keeping people informed and planting ideas for copycats? Between searching for answers and letting the victims heal in peace?

I cried when I saw Alma on the news last night, pleading with Joey to turn himself in. I cannot imagine that family's hurt. Despite all his bad decisions, he's still her son. There are so many victims.

I cried again this morning when I saw the latest development in the Amish school shooting story. Their quiet community is burying five little girls today. And they've contacted the shooter's family, to offer their forgiveness and invite them to come to the services. The shooter's wife had already been in touch to express her sympathy.

It's these glimpses of humanity that make me think that maybe, just maybe, everyone is going to be okay.

L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home