Monday, October 23, 2006

Life, the Universe, and Everything

And thus ends ConversionFest. (I really need to stop calling it that, I've made more than one person mad.)

So Franklin Graham has come and gone. No big flashes of lightning and hands reaching down from the heavens, but no locusts either - and maybe that's the best we could ask for.

I have honestly tried to keep my mouth shut about this whole Franklin Graham festival in Winnipeg. I realize that just because it isn't the sort of thing that works for me doesn't make it wrong for everyone. In fact, I'm sure it was a huge encouragement to many and even a positive, life-changing experience for some.

Ironically, that's probably the same kind of *tolerance* that Franklin was hoping to preach out of me.

Probably no big surprise to anyone, but I didn't go. I was curious, but at the end of the day, I just couldn't. I was discussing this with a friend of mine over breakfast last week. I think that there are Christians who operate in a bubble, and there are others who are constantly aware of how their *religion* and *religious activities* look to those on the outside. I am absolutely in the second category. And I just wasn't very comfortable with how this event looked. I was less comfortable with the generic ads promoting the event around the city - ads that made no mention of God or Christianity, and instead promoted a 'Central Canada Festival' with 'FREE CONCERTS.' I don't believe in tricking people. And it was either that, or else we were ashamed - and I don't believe in that either.

I'm even less comfortable with Franklin's absolute black-and-white views. I just don't agree with all of the messages he's preaching. My faith is about love and relationships, not about a safety net to ensure I don't go to hell.

Maybe my tolerance doesn't extend to the intolerant. Ooh, did I just blow your mind? :)

L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home