Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Ignorant

Do you ever wake up in the morning with some unidentifiable residual emotion? You wake up happy and excited about something without remembering why. Or you wake up totally pissed off and you don't know what it's about.

I woke up irritated and insulted today, and it took me a few moments to remember that I was mad about my doctor's insinuation that I might not have arthritis - or I might not have ever had it in the first place. So offensive. I definitely need to find a new doctor, and I'm making it my project for this week.

So I was already frustrated. And then I clicked on the Washington Post site when I got to work. And here's a summary of what I read...

-

Possibly worse than making fun of someone's disability is saying that it's imaginary. That is not to mock someone's body, but to challenge a person's guts, integrity, sanity.

To Rush Limbaugh on Monday, Michael J. Fox looked like a faker. The actor, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, has done a series of political ads supporting candidates who favor stem cell research.

"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox."

-

Limbaugh averages a weekly audience of 10 million. You can read the entire story here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/24/AR2006102400691.html

Just another example of someone ignorant, who doesn't understand disease and rushes to judgment. I'm so tired of these people. It brings back long-buried memories of people questioning my disease - because one day I look fine and the next day I'm shuffling-slash-waddling around like a very old duck. Sometimes they actually say it, and sometimes you can just see it in their eyes. The silent ones are frustrating because you can't really call them on it. The vocal ones are dangerous.

The vocal ones with audiences of 10 million are lethal.

L

PS - Hey, remember Family Ties? And Back to the Future? Sweeeeeeet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home