Tuesday, October 24, 2006

An Apple a Day

or 'Why Doctors Who Went To Med School In Cancun Shouldn't Be Allowed To Practice Medicine Anywhere'



Okay, so he probably went to U of M or something equally boring and reputable school. But I'm not really liking him right now.

So I made my doctor a little cranky today. I was there to talk about some abnormal blood test results and a relapse of my arthritis. His 'solution' was to do another blood test.

I made the fatal mistake of asking what a patient is never supposed to ask: WHY. And then proceeded to call it 'blood donation, minus purpose' and explained that I already knew what was going to happen: that my results would be exactly the same as the last time (and the time before that, and the time before that) and that I would then need to come back to his office and have him tell me (again) that my iron was extremely low and that I'm showing some small signs of having rheumatoid arthritis, but that we weren't going to do anything about either one just yet. (Wow, impressive run-on sentence!)

He said I was probably right. And I said I didn't want to donate any more blood to him. In the end, I agreed to another blood test when he agreed to write a referral for me to see my old rheumatologist again. Ah, good ol' negotiation skills.

Anyone know of a good GP in the city - who's taking new patients?

L

1 Comments:

At October 25, 2006 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsay! Thanks for the note on my blog, it's great to hear from you. Definitely made my day. You know, there are just certain people in life that you come to miss...

Anyway, I'm adding your blog to my favourites and plan to make it a regular part of my morning routine. All the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home