Friday, September 08, 2006

"Life Isn't Fair..."

"...And the sooner you learn it, the happier you'll be."
(Ron & Sherri Hildebrandt, circa 1984... and probably weekly after that)

Argh. This might make me unpopular.

I'm not sure how I feel about racial-equality agreements. Don't get me wrong... I believe that our workforce should reflect our society, and that everyone should have identical opportunities that are in no way tied to the colour of their skin.

What I disagree with is the favouritism involved in 'evening things out.' Quite simply, I don't believe in promoting people into upper management because they're ___ (insert minority label here) instead of basing it on their performance. To me, that's more insulting than not having those positions in the first place: getting promoted or admitted because you're a minority. It's still being treated differently and unfairly, it's just working out to your advantage this time. And imagine managing a team of people who resent you for getting a promotion you didn't earn.

Of course, all these arguments are null and void if there is in fact a ceiling for blacks and other minorities in business. Because that's so wrong, I can't even find words for it. And I sympathize because it's not like it's a really fair world out there for women.

But the world's not really that fair. And the advertising industry less so. It's not like really ugly people get promoted into the upper echelons of the agency world.

In any case, it's a hell of a good time to be black and working in advertising in NYC.

L

Ad Firms to Hire More Black Managers in City
New York Times - September 08.06

1 Comments:

At September 11, 2006 8:42 AM, Blogger ka said...

Having just been given a copy of "Managing Meetings for Women," I couldn't agree more. I politely asked if I could also get a copy of "Managing Meetings for Men" to properly understand the difference.

It's great working for a company that wholeheartedly believes in promoting women. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home