Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Milestone

When I woke up this morning (after NOT enough sleep), my first thought was that today is my birthday and I am now OLD. My second thought - following soon after - was: there's no running water and no bathroom here. My third thought: what on earth was I thinking???

Actually, the walk to the outhouse at the Groeneveld's cabin was beautiful. It was very misty this morning and the lake was completely calm. It was so peaceful, you couldn't help but smile. It was an absolutely amazing morning to be outside at 6 am.

Our trip to the cabin was short, but full of adventures. The drive up was amazing, and the view of the cabin and the lake totally took my breath away. It was one of those incredible little corners of the world that you don't even want to take pictures of, because there is no way a picture can do it justice. We saw the little log cabin Christine is building by hand. And I experienced about ten things so far outside of my comfort zone that we couldn't stop laughing at me. You know that part in 'The Parent Trap' when the twins go camping with their soon-to-be new stepmother and she looks like a total dork because she's too prissy to be out in the wild? Yep. That was me. We had to carry all our stuff in (including drinking water). We hiked up the mountain over wet, slippery rocks, mud, and leaves. We went skinny dipping in the lake. We washed our hair outside. We cooked in the woodstove. Christine (evil girl that she is) forced us to wear 'special uniforms' of oversized plaid button-front shirts while we were there. I know it was just so she could see the look of utter horror and discomfort on my face. We decided in the end that you can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl. It was great life experience, but I am HAPPY to be back in civilization. In fact, now that my email is checked, I'm off to bathe and shave my legs.

Today, I think the girls are intent on thanking me for being such a good sport because - after my tattoo appointment - we're spending the afternoon shopping and then going for dinner :)

Tomorrow will be a daytrip to Quebec City to be touristy for the day, then visiting Christine's new nephew Felix in the evening. And then - can you believe it?! - we're flying home on Friday morning. It's ridiculous how quickly vacation time flies.

L


The lake at the Groeneveld's cabin


Christine's cabin (the one she's been building by hand...). Note the 'uniforms' she forced us to wear. Fine. Forced ME to wear, because I think Emily actually put hers on willingly.

2 Comments:

At July 05, 2006 3:23 PM, Blogger Marina and Levon Levonian said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay! :)

 
At July 09, 2006 11:16 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Awww... Thanks! :)

L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home