Thursday, May 27, 2010

The One Where I Push The BIG RED BUTTON

We're here! INSERT HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF HERE.

Travel with a toddler is always a total crapshoot. You can plan everything perfectly and it can still go horribly, horribly wrong. Fortunately, today was not one of those days. In fact, I'm sitting here listening to the deep sleepy breathing coming out of the baby monitor and wondering what the catch is going to be. When I woke up Briony around 05.20 this morning, she giggled and thought it was a fabulous adventure to be quickly changed into some clothes and then shuttled to the airport by taxi. She didn't sleep at all until we were driving from Vancouver to Abbotsford - and it wasn't a particularly good nap. And then she stayed up until 19.00 tonight (her normal bedtime at home, but really two hours past her bedtime because of the time change). And she was HAPPY all day. Crazy kid. I know the time change can't be this easy, so we shall see what tomorrow holds.

The other big unknown is my health, and maybe that's the big catch. I woke up feeling icky, and icky became bad on our flight, which in turn became awful by late this afternoon when I pushed the big red button. I cried myself to sleep because of the pain, shaking uncontrollably, and woke up 90 minutes later feeling bad again. Which on a day like today is kind of a minor victory. I'm hoping it was just a bad night coupled with the altitude during the flight and a quick transition to cool, rainy weather here - and that I'll be feeling significantly better in the morning. In the meantime, though, it's probably an ideal place for me to crash because Briony is drinking up all the attention from her dada and her grandma.

I have already been working on client stuff here and I have a conference call first thing tomorrow morning followed by a couple of quick deadlines and some homework. There is truly no rest for the wicked... But I'll be jealously guarding the next two weekends as family time, and I'm expecting things to slow down significantly after the middle of next week. FAMOUS LAST WORDS.

Other than that, it's green and lovely here, and they've redone the Mill Lake playground area - complete with a wicked new splash park - and I'm hoping it will get nice enough here in the next couple of weeks for Briony to get a chance to check it out. She's already personally approved the swings and the slide, of course :)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home