Friday, March 06, 2009

Friday Smile(s)

I have a couple of smiles to share today :)

#1
So... We're going back to BC. Soon. Like in six weeks. Crazy, I know. But we ended our last trip with a question from Marilyn about whether or not we'd consider coming out there to take care of Geoff's dad so that she'd be able to attend her fifty-year nursing school reunion and visit with her siblings (who she hasn't been able to visit in a very long time). And the date of her reunion coincided with Geoff's time off in a way that was far more than coincidence, and we've been working out the details this week... Nothing's set in stone yet, but we're looking at leaving around April 28 and returning May 20.

This is a Friday Smile for a couple of reasons. Obviously, we enjoy spending time with our friends and family in BC (and the weather's a little better than Winnipeg). But more than anything else, this feels like an incredible gift that we're able to give to Geoff's mom: the ability to go relax and have fun without having to constantly worry about what's going on at home. I love her, and she's one of those people who would be impossible to try to buy a really fabulous gift for... So it's an absolute honour and pleasure for us to be able to give her a gift of our time.

#2
I finished the Twilight books this week. Actually, I started AND finished them this week. Which kind of goes to show how absolutely brainless they were to read. While the English major in me *cringed* at the writing, they were kind of fun. I still don't know what the big deal is about Edward, but whatever - maybe I'm just too old.

The books in themselves aren't the smile. The smile is that I posted something about reading them on Facebook, and got the following comment in reply: 'How can someone who CLAIMS to be a Christian read that evil!' I chose to smile rather than fume. I also chose to delete rather than share this narrow-minded opinion with the world (at least my Facebook world).

Mostly, I'm smiling over the thought that I have been banished to hell for reading some crappy teenage pop culture books. If I'd known it was my eternal soul at stake, I certainly would have picked an author with a better grasp of plain old English grammar and sentence structure :)

#3
Geoff and I have been watching The Big Bang Theory. For a kind of generic sitcom, I can't believe how much I'm laughing at these characters... Brilliant.



#4
Briony is getting SO CLOSE to rolling over... It's taking everything in me not to just reach over and give her a tiny little push. But I want her to do it by herself.

#5
My parents leave on their 'victory vacation' tomorrow. I am so excited for them, I can't even really come up with the words. If anyone in the world deserves a vacation right now, it's them. And Briony and I drive them to the airport in the morning!

#5
And all my Cocoon girls are coming over to have a tea party with Briony and I tomorrow afternoon :)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At March 06, 2009 3:12 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Very nice. It's so hard on our mothers or fathers when they have 24/7 care of their spouse. I don't think any of us know how hard that is and what a tough job that is.

Good kids you are!

 
At March 07, 2009 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES, Margaret, I agree with you.
I'm a little overwhelmed by your generosity and kindness, Lindsay and Geoff...but I'll accept it:) And the bonus will be to see you all again!
Hope the 'victory trip' goes well for your parents.

 
At March 09, 2009 10:14 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

ROFL @ the facebook comment. Get a life people!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home