Friday, January 30, 2009

Groovy

Okay, so I am having a heck of a time trying to find a Mommy Groove. I don't know if it's because this is all so new, because Geoff works shift work, because babies are totally unpredictable, because I'm trying to do too much, because I started school this week, or WHAT - but just when I feel like I've got it all figured out, I realize that I have nothing figured out at all.

Maybe it's not important to have a groove at all. Maybe flexibility is key to my future happiness. And that's okay. I think :)

Here's what I DO know:
- I love being a mom. Briony isn't a perfect baby, but she's perfect for me. Even on her fussy days, I love her to pieces and there's nowhere else I'd rather be than hanging out at home with her.
- I'd rather play with my baby than clean. No big surprise there. But I'm trying to see the clutter that piles up in here sometimes as evidence that I was being a good mom, rather than evidence of a wasted day.
- I really like being a student again. I'm finding this course super-interesting, and I love using my brain and learning new things that I can turn around and discuss with my classmates online.
- I need to get better at making time for my friends, and forcing myself on people when I'm feeling like I've been at home alone with a baby for too many days in a row.
- I need to keep eating well and start being a little more active. If I don't work hard at taking care of myself, no one will do it for me. And on that topic... I need to call and make an appointment to get a haircut and deal with these nasty cuticles. SHUDDER.
- I should really talk to Geoff about scheduling once-a-week Study Breaks where I can pack up my laptop and head over to Starbucks alone for an hour or two and fully concentrate on school.
- I am strong enough that this will NOT all fall apart next week when Geoff is working four consecutive shifts and my mom is having surgery - a huge fear of mine right now.

On a mostly unrelated note, Briony's head control is getting really good and so I tried her in her Bumbo chair for a few minutes today. She happened to be wearing a sweater and jeans and the combination of Big Girl Clothes + seeing her sitting there made me a tiny little bit teary. This time is just flying.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home