Saturday, January 10, 2009

20 Random Things

Jobina tagged me on Facebook, but I'm responding here instead...

Here are the rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 20 random things, facts, habits or goals about you. At the end choose 20 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

1. I re-read books, which is how I justify my book collection that is threatening to overtake our home office - affectionately known as 'Lindsay's library.' Some of my favourites have easily been enjoyed twenty times and counting.

2. I love (and I mean *love*) the movie The American President. Yep, that one - straight out of the 90s, starring Michael Douglas and Annette Bening. I don't know why. I just do.

3. I met my husband online, and I'm so sick of some people's reactions when they find that out. I can't imagine my life without him in it, and I don't know how else our paths would have ever crossed. It's a beautiful way to begin to fall in love with someone.

4. I always intended to become a high school english and performing arts teacher, and pursued that goal right up to and including three student teaching placements while in university working on my B.Ed.

5. I got pregnant with our daughter while I was on birth control. I've now become that cautionary tale you tell your teenage children to scare them.

6. I have lived with rheumatoid arthritis since I was 10 years old, and fibromyalgia since I was 22. I woudn't recommend either one.

7. My career in advertising was entirely accidental. When I was 19, I took a summer job at an ad agency that was supposed to involve filing and answering phones. The writer called in sick right before the content for a client's website was due. Someone asked if I wanted to try writing it. And the rest is history.

8. I have never, ever dated a guy my own age - always older. My husband is seven and a half years older than me, and I think the difference is perfect.

9. I'm a very good proofreader. And unless I'm at work and getting paid to do it, I consider it to be a curse - EVERYTHING bugs me and I just want to fix it.

10. When I was 21, I decided to sign up for Joints in Motion, a program that raises money for arthritis research. Since then, I've raised almost $25,000 and completed a full marathon in Bermuda, a half marathon in Switzerland, and a 10K in Greece.

11. I drink an ungodly amount of coffee. Mostly Starbucks. I could have purchased a small country for the amount of money I've left in that place. And I don't regret a single delicious drop.

12. I love to cook, but I HATE to clean up (fortunately, Geoff doesn't mind doing the dishes). I love to pack for a trip, but I HATE to unpack (and often don't for weeks after I get home). I love to decorate for Christmas, but I HATE putting it all away (my tree sometimes stays up until the beginning of February). Hmmm... See #15.

13. Nothing makes me happier than crossing things off a list I made on a post-it note. I like it so much that I usually add one or two things to the list that I've already done, just so that I can cross them off right away.

14. I'm a Christian, but that label embarrasses me. I think that Christians have a long track record of being incredibly un-Christ-like and I *hate* being associated with that. Not that I think I'm better... I think I just realize that I'm so very UNlike Christ that I have no business playing God or pretending to understand what's right or wrong for other people. My faith is intensely personal.

15. One of the great joys in my life is starting a project. I get super-excited about it and love to plan it out and organize it - but by the time it's 90% done, I'm so over it and want to move on to the next new thing.

16. Last year was the toughest year of my life, but the happiest. I don't really expect that to make sense to people.

17. I would love to be Stacy on What Not To Wear. Getting paid to criticize people is pretty much my dream job. And then there's always a happy ending when you see them looking and feeling so awesome at the end of the episode. I couldn't dream of anything more.

18. I have almost zero tolerance for fake people and superficial friendships. I honestly believe that the best, most interesting people are those who have experienced true disappointment and challenges in their lives. It makes you multidimensional, forces you to become compassionate, and shapes your world view. I think it's beautiful.

19. I have been blogging for more than six years, but I have never managed to keep up a journal. I'm not sure what that says about me.

20. I sleep on my stomach (shut up, I know it's bad), and it was an especially cruel form of torture for me to be forced onto my side while I was pregnant.

I tag nobody, but if you're reading this and have a couple of spare minutes, I'd love to read lists from ALL of you :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At January 10, 2009 11:13 PM, Blogger Jobina said...

Ha! I'm so glad that I get to enjoy your list without replying with one of my own, since you already read mine. Yay, I'm off the hook!

 
At January 11, 2009 8:33 AM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 11, 2009 8:35 AM, Blogger Allison Friesen said...

I totally agree with your #19. I love to blog but cannot ever manage to keep a journal.

Thanks for sharing so much of your life. I really enjoy reading your blog.

 
At January 11, 2009 8:46 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Hey, I learned alot of things about you in those 20 items - thanks Lindsay. I will email you my list...maybe. The grammar might be wrong, the punctuation may be placed in the wrong positions and it might be boring! (oops, one of those punctuations that you despise.)

 
At January 11, 2009 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, these are 20 reasons to feel like I'm human too.

Here is a quick 10 of mine:

1. I got fired from just about every job I ever worked at, except when I started working for myself. When I started to add employees, I had to fire myself from the role so they could take over. After 20 years the company folded. It was a good run, but one of the most difficult things I've ever gone through. Truly humbling.
2. I love my kids, but I think I spoiled them.
3. I love my wife, but I think after 30 years, she should have fired me.
4. I enjoy my work because it gives me the feeling that nothing is impossible.
5. I too am a Christian, but really serious crisis of faith. I pray every day, but I feel God has been really quite lately.
6. I run, spin, work out frequently to keep my head on straight. I don't feel like doing it at first, but afterwards, I feel like a million pesos.
7. Starting over in business is both humbling and exciting, but it's like walking barefoot in the woods. Everything affects me.
8. My 19 year old son is my biggest challenge. I have to stomp my feet, demand next steps, and follow up constantly. He's a nice kid, that's the problem, but I think this is what being a parent is like with adult-children.
9. Finding joy doesn't always equate to having fun. Sometimes the simple joys are reading a good book, reading the morning paper, getting to bed on time so the next day won't come so early (5:30).
10. Gaining weight is a lot more fun than losing it. If hit 200 pounds which I've been hard pressed to lose. I work out constantly, but seem to "eat" to live. Changing the eating thing is going to be my biggest life challenge.

 
At January 11, 2009 3:20 PM, Blogger gloria said...

i got pregnant on birth control too! 99.9% my aunt fanny! (not that i would have it any other way of course)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home