Monday, December 31, 2007

Lindsay Is

How truly strange, this Facebook thing. It has caused me to think of my world, my life, my emotions, and the combination of the three in a single statement that always begins with the same two words: Lindsay is... Never mind the fact that the 'is' is gone now :)

Which brings me to the question that's been causing me some stress this week: What the heck AM I?

I'm scared because this fibromyalgia / chronic fatigue flare my body's been hinting at for a while already seems to be seriously on its way now - and I'm not sure if I've been successful in preventing it or even slowing it down. I'm overwhelmed with fear and panic about the future, because I don't know what that means or what it will look like. My plans are gone, thrown out the window - for today, for tomorrow, for the next month, for the next year... I have no clue what to prep myself for. I am not the one in control anymore.

I'm upset, because in the throes of this physically and emotionally bad day, Geoff and I went outside this morning so he could drive me to work and we discovered that my car had been broken into. The would-be car thieves were not successful - I had an immobilizer installed two months ago - but they decimated my drivers' side lock and the body of the car around it, and they absolutely tore apart my ignition and steering column. I couldn't even get my key inside what was left. They went through my stuff in the glove box and the trunk, but didn't take a thing. And so, instead of a tough day at work, I had an extremely tough day at home - making phone calls and statements, arranging for a tow truck and a rental car, cleaning out my car, walking to get rental car insurance, and the list goes on... I did my best to work from home in between all my running around. And by 4.15 pm, I was back at home with a rental car parked where my ruined car used to sit - evidenced by yet another chunk of car sitting in the snow in our driveway.

(Geoff missed the majority of the excitement because he's working a stretch of nights and had to go to sleep pretty much as soon as we discovered what had happened.)

I'm tired.

I'm speechless, and I don't really know what to think or what to feel. The surprise stress of a damaged car is really the last thing my body could handle right now - physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. I'm fighting hard here, and waiting for a breakthrough. I'm hurting.

And I'm wanting rather desperately to call for some chinese take-out and spend my New Years Eve in a bubble bath watching Audrey Hepburn movies (I have now perfected the temporary TV/DVD setup in my bathroom... Way too awesome for words :)

But that's not what I'm doing tonight. I have an hour to pull myself together before I get picked up for a New Years party that's pretty much guaranteed to be fun, with old friends who I love like crazy and always make me laugh until my stomach hurts. Which is maybe the best therapy of all. And I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Forget one-sentence status updates. Human beings are complicated - especially the girl kind. Although maybe I can squeeze out one last one for 2007, for old time's sake: Lindsay is going to be okay.

-

I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours

Excerpt from 'Who Am I' by Casting Crowns

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At December 31, 2007 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad the thieves don't know you have installed the immobilizer...perhaps you wish they had just stolen the car):

"SURELY goodness and mercy will follow you" in the New Year with its challenges.

Love

 
At January 01, 2008 9:32 PM, Blogger Domestic Bloggess said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your car. We just had ours stolen not to long ago, so I totally feel for you. It's such a violation. I still don't quite understand how someone can think they have the right to do that to someone else. Ugh. Here's to having the whole situation resolved swiftly.

Thanks also for your rockin' words on my 365 blog. That was so sweet of you - especially considering what you'd been dealing with all day.

 
At January 01, 2008 10:06 PM, Blogger esther said...

oh yikes lindsay, what a day?!!!
i hope the party was a hit :)

 
At January 03, 2008 9:22 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

That sucks Lindsay. I hope 2008 started off fantastically for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home