Monday, December 18, 2006

The Reason

Em and I tackled the last of our Christmas shopping on Saturday. I say tackle because last-minute Christmas shopping (on a snowy, slippery Winnipeg winter day) is not a delicate task.

It ended up being a really great day. We set out with some realistic goals, and decided to stay cool, take our time, and do it all with smiles on our faces. And you know what? It worked like a charm. Our stress levels were near zero. And the salespeople were obviously relieved to have a couple of easy-going customers - they were extraordinarily friendly and funny.

As an added bonus, we found some absolutely amazing deals - so very un-Lindsay-like.

Now the gifts are wrapped and tucked underneath a decorated tree, Christmas baking is in the freezer, and I'm just about ready to sliiiide into holiday mode. As soon as I get those blasted cards written.

The cards were scheduled for demolition on Sunday afternoon, but I spent the day at the hospital instead - and I don't regret that decision for a moment.

It was good to spend some time with both of my grandparents, and with my parents. Watching my dad with his dad, dealing with the biggest health problem this tiny family's ever had to face. Watching my mom taking care of her mother-in-law, with all the love a human being is capable of. The look of absolute happiness on my oma's face when she saw that I'd come to spend some time with her.

In the middle of all the pre-holiday insanity - with everyone rushing around, trying to get everything *perfectly* prepared for Christmas - it was amazing to stop and see so clearly that none of those other details matter at all.

L

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home