Monday, May 01, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I moved this weekend. Again. But I think you'll all approve. I've nestled myself into a pretty residential area of St. Boniface, on a street where the houses are built up on a hill, surrounded by these amazing old trees. It doesn't feel like Winnipeg (and that's a comment from an unabashed Winnipeg-lover).

My house is almost 1300 square feet, spread out over six levels. I am definitely NOT going to be signing up for any step aerobics classes. I have plenty of storage space and lots of living room - which is good because I also have THREE roommates right now.

What is it that makes a place where you live feel like home? I've been asking this question while unpacking in my new place this weekend - a place that immediately felt like home.

A few options I've considered:

1. People. Though it certainly helps, it can't only be people, because I've called places 'home' when I didn't really like my roommates and I've felt decidedly not-at-home with people I've loved living with.

2. Location. Again, this isn't it - because I've felt at home in one ghetto apartment and not in two others. (Yeah, I know. It almost seems I LIKE living in the 'hood.)

3. Duration. It can't be only about the length of time you stay - because our Niverville apartment would have never, ever felt like home to me.

4. Personal Stuff. This must have something to do with it, because that same apartment in Niverville felt like home to Emily right away.

So really, in the end, it becomes less of a Math problem and more of an English discussion. (I love it when that happens). It's totally subjective. It's one of those intangible things that just can't be rationalized. My new place feels like home. And I knew it would - I knew it the moment I stepped inside at the beginning of March, just like I knew all those other places I had looked at were NOT home.

My tulips are going to bloom soon. Yes, I have tulips! I am absolutely fascinated by them. I can't wait to see what colour they are :)

L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home