Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Things No One Warned Me About: Straws

Cleaning sippy cup straws to my satisfaction has become the bane of my existence in the last year or so. There is seriously no good way to do it, and I'm constantly worrying about what's growing inside (but hesitant to give 'em the toss because it seems so freaking wasteful).

Enter the most obvious solution in the world. So obvious that I hesitate to mention it here, but I will - just in case I'm not the absolute LAST mom in the world to figure it out :)

Michaels (and probably a million other places for a lot cheaper) sells pipe cleaners. But not just any pipe cleaners. GIANT pipe cleaners. 15mm pipe cleaners, to be exact (normal ones are 6mm, in case you're curious). And when run through a straw that's been soaking in hot soapy water, they work LIKE A CHARM.

WARNING: They're so furry that it feels exactly like you're bathing a Muppet.

It's working for us right now. But I hate tossing them every time (and I really feel I need to, because all that fur is just screaming Ideal Habitat For Disgusting Germs).

I recently saw in a magazine that some mom in the States invented - and is now selling - a cleaner similar to bottle/nipple cleaning brushes, but for all types of straws. Has anyone seen such a thing in Canada?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At November 03, 2010 7:56 AM, Blogger Blogger Mama said...

Here is a link to something similar on Amazon.com Looks like shipping rates to Canada are 7.99?

http://www.amazon.com/Ginsey-KA-0809-Sippy-Straw-Cleaner/dp/B00386KEEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288788463&sr=8-1

 
At November 03, 2010 8:13 AM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Ooh, that's EXACTLY the one. It sounds so stupid to pay that, but I should probably stop and think about what I'll pay in giant pipe cleaners... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home