Friday, November 09, 2007

Day Ten

Can that be true? Ten days?! Time is flying, let me tell you... I can't believe we're in London, and that in a couple of days we'll be back in Winnipeg. I don't feel ready yet, but I do realize that a return to reality is inevitable. I'm just not really thinking about it yet :)

Today was largely uneventful. Geoff and I were up early for breakfast and disembarkment, then we said a quick goodbye to the people we'd met - including the JIMers who'd come on the cruise (a quick congrats to Brad and Laura, who got engaged in Rhodes this week!) - and headed for the airport via taxi and the underground train.

We got to the airport with lots and lots of time to spare, which was nice. We browsed through some of the stores and took advantage of the free internet, grabbed some lunch, and then boarded our flight to London. It was a HUGE plane, and the flight attendants working our section of the plane were both middle-aged men, which struck me as a little odd. And one of them was quite seriously the strangest man I've ever met. I kept on having these awkward little encounters with him, and it seriously made me uncomfortable when he poured my tea. I couldn't stop laughing (though I might just be tired).

Probably important to mention at this point that I woke up sick today. My sinuses are totally plugged up, my throat is hurting, and I'm coughing and sneezing. The flight today was excruciating. I'm hoping that the drugs I picked up as soon as we arrived in London will work their magic before the long flights home on Tuesday. I didn't want to buy anything in Athens, because I couldn't read the packaging, but I'm almost wishing I'd taken the risk. Blech.

Landed in London a little late because of a backlog in flights (due to the wind), jumped on the Tube (fortunately, easy because Erin and I figured it all out last time), and easily located our hotel (easily for me because Geoff was the poor bastard who had to lug around both his bag and my big one.. hey, he volunteered!). The hotel is good. The location is AMAZING - about 50 restaurants within 3 blocks of here, and less than a 60 second walk to a major underground station - and the rooms are a reasonable size for London. It's nothing fancy at all, but clean and totally cool for a four-night stay. We're kind of in between Earl's Court, Chelsea, and Kensington, which is a pretty prime location for seeing what we want to see.

We checked in, then set out on foot to find (a) drugs for Lindsay, (b) the correct currency for the country we just arrived in, and (c) food for Geoff, preferably of the British variety. All three were accomplished within ten minutes and less than half a block. Awesome.

So that's the update! Safe and sound in London, with just a little bit of frigid English drizzle and too much fog and smog to see any stars at all. Geoff's been grinning since we landed :)

No really set plan for the next couple of days, just a general idea of a few stores we'd like the visit, and few touristy things we'd like to check out (or see again, because it's a revisit for both of us), and an appointment to head out to Marden-Kent and Tenterden to visit Geoff's aunt, uncle, and cousin on Sunday.

Oh, and I plan to get healthy again quickly.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 09, 2007 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you will have some fantastic memories from your adventure. Hopefully this leg of your trip will be less strenuous. At least you will be on 'senior time' part of Sunday:) Be well soon.

 
At November 10, 2007 1:35 AM, Blogger Aaron Scott said...

If you see anything awesome and Doctor Who releated... I love gifts :

 

Post a Comment

<< Home